"I know," I told them with a smile. "Alexander wouldn't hurt me on purpose. No one could have suspected something like this would happen."

"I'm sure he won't be long now," Noah said.

"You can stay for dinner," Violet began.

"I'm okay," I told them. "I need some time to process everything, but I should be fine. Alexander might need more of your support right now."

After reassuring them a few more times, Noah and Violet stepped out of the room. Diana gave me dried apricots and raisins. Despite waiting, Alexander didn't return. Soon, it was time for me to go home.

One of Dr. Daniel's assistants examined me before letting me leave the house.

"Everything alright?" Joseph asked, driving away from the house.

"Tired," I told him.

I don't remember the trip home. I tried to keep myself from falling asleep, but it was hard. The tension evaporated from my body. I used my phone to look at my neck. The bite mark was still there. Dr. Daniel's assistant had dabbed something on it, and it didn't look too bad now. It mainly had formed into a bruise.

By the time I reached home, the bruising had gone down. My parents were surprised to see me on time. When dinner was ready, I joined them in the kitchen. I kept up with their conversation and told them about most of my day - except the biting part - but I wasn't there as I talked. Not mentally.

The only thing I could think about was Alexander was a vampire again.

It's what he wanted. He could lead his people again. He wouldn't need to hide anymore. It was fantastic news.

"Anything happened?" Mom repeated.

Sighing, I finished the rest of my meal.

"I was distracted," I told her. "There's so much going on that it's hard to keep going about a normal day. There's so much to do. I feel like I haven't gotten any time to relax lately."

"Take the rest of the evening off," Dad said. "Don't let the pressure get to you."

"I won't."

"If you need help, don't hesitate to ask," Mom said. "There's only so much you can do by yourself."

"I'll do that."

After dinner, I drew myself a bath. I sat back, closing my eyes. Maybe instead of worrying about everything I couldn't do, I should worry about what I could do. The announcement ceremony and school were something I had direct control over.

Alexander could handle the Extremists and somehow discredit them. Most importantly, the person leading them. Other than creating chaos, what did they want?

After bathing, I dried my hair and got ready for bed. I was in bed, plugging my phone in as a message popped on the screen.

'Care to let me in?'

My chin trembled. "Come in," I said aloud.

Alexander manifested in the room. He stayed by the window, arms around himself.

"Are you okay?" he asked in a low voice.

I put my hand on my neck. "It wasn't . . . I didn't . . . I'm okay, now."

"Rin, I'm so sorry. I never meant . . . I didn't know. I'm sorry."

I looked away, rubbing my eyes. Taking a deep breath, I faced Alexander and held my arms out.

"I know you wouldn't hurt me," I said.

Alexander was immediately in my arms. He scooped me up, placing me on his lap.

"I've missed you so much," he said.

As I returned his hug, I snuggled into his shoulder. Being in his arms made me realize I had missed all the late-night meetings, his transformations, and him in general. He was everything I wanted.

I pulled back. "I need to give you something," I told him.

As I crawled out of bed, I turned the lamp on and went to my drawers. From there, I brought out the ring box. I sat next to Alexander and gave it to him.

"I might be rushing this," I began.

"Yes."

I looked at him. "What?"

"Yes," he said, looking up from the ring. "I accept."

I blushed. "You don't even know what I'm trying to say."

"Rin, it doesn't take a genius to figure it out," he said gently.

I looked away, trying to hide my embarrassment. "At least let me finish."

"Okay. Please continue."

Taking a deep, I turned to Alexander. He smiled at me. I rubbed my neck.

"Well, I . . . love you," I told him. "And, I want to be with you. You gave me a promise ring, and I loved it. And mine's not a promise ring, but they still mean the same thing. Well, sort of, but -"

"Breathe, Rin."

"I want you to marry me," I blurted out. "Not like right now. But, in the future."

Wordlessly, Alexander put on his ring. "After such a confession," he said. "There's no way I would refuse."

"Now, we have matching rings," I said.

He planted a kiss on my forehead. "I can't wait to show it off."