The Day it all Changed

Penelope opened up her eyes to another day of sunshine. She sighed, crawling out from underneath her tent, to see her palismen banging his head on a red food item. Confused, she slowly approached him, knowing not to anger her silly salamander palisman when he was hungry.

"You're so stupid, Beans!" Penny laughed, not being able to hold back a smile whilst seeing her dumb palisman trying to cut the red food.  "Try using your tail instead." Beans whipped his tail on the food, cleanly slicing it in half. He puffed out his chest, feeling accomplished, and nudged one half towards Penny. The food's skin was mainly red, with some splotches of brown and yellow here and there, while the inside was white, tinted with yellow, and had seeds in the middle. She recognized it as an apple, and devoured it quickly. After a few moments, she decided it was time to get the hell up. She put Beans in her pocket and decided to walk down to the library , even on her day off. But first, she hid her ears with a beanie, feeling too tired to use magic. She strolled down to the library whistling a familiar tune (*cough* the owl house theme song ofc 🙄). Penelope felt delighted as the sound of the bells rang as she opened the door.
"Are you working on your day off?" smiled Henry, her boss. She returned the smile, chuckling,
" Nope, just looking around. You know, the usual." She had worked at the library immediately after she turned 16, feeling exhilarated at the idea of being amongst books, her favorite thing in the world.
"Make sure to put everything back where it belongs, you don't want to make more work for yourself!"

She walked around the library for a while, browsing the aisles she knew so well, when a certain annoying voice stopped her.
"Ugh, finally I can take this itchy hat off!" it groaned, obviously annoyed. She peered around the corner to see another witch! In fact, Penny saw 4 of them, and a human. She took a step forward, distracted in her thoughts and tripped in front of them, her hat falling off.
"AWW SHIT-" she yelped scrambling to her feet. She found herself surrounded by the strangers, their eyes wide in shock. One in particular seemed to catch Penelope's eye. A blond boy with beautiful ruby eyes, and a scar on his cheek. He seemed oddly familiar, though he didn't seem to recognize her.
"Your ears.." said the one with green hair. The other boy with fluffy brown hair stared at her suspiciously, while the purple one gasped.
"Here, let me help you up!" the brown haired girl said, with a tired smile.

Everyone sat down, including Penny, who was
regretting coming to the library. After a few seconds the girl with brown hair slammed her fist on the table.
"ALRIGHT, who are you?!" the girl shouted, clearly forgetting that she was in a library. To remind her, she was met by a chorus of "shh"s. "Sorry- Too dramatic?" Penny nodded, startled.
"Well, let me introduce everyone," she continued, "That's Willow. She's a plant witch," she pointed at the green one, "That's Gus, he's an amazing illusionist," Gus eyed her skeptically. "That's Amity, she's uh, Ami-MaZiNg," The human winked and finger gunned at Amity, making Amity blush. "That's Hunter, he used to be the Golden Guard," The golden guard... That's why he seems familiar! Hunter stared at Penny. She stared back. He seemed to let out a small gasp, realizing who she was. "AnDdDdD, I'm Luz! And you are?" DAMN IT, now I have to introduce myself. What am I doing? She thought, sighing.
"I'm Penelope, or Penny" she grumbled, still a bit shy from all the attention. Hunter pointed at her, leaning close to her face. That made her ears go all blushy from how close they were.
"AHA!" he shouted, being met with a chorus of shushing. "Sorry. That's why you seemed so familiar! You were partners with Lilith!"
"Wait, you know Super Cool Aunt Lilith?!" Luz the human gasped in excitement, her eyes twinkling.
"I knew her," Penny sighed,

"It all happened three years ago-" both Hunter and Penelope spoke at once. "Sorry you go first-" they said again. "No you-"
"You can tell it," she blurted, trying not to speak in unison with Hunter, "I'm not that comfortable with sharing it.."
"I know how you feel," Hunter smiled, then continued, "It all began when Lilith was assigned a partner to capture the owl- I mean- Eda. She wasn't very thrilled with it, but accepted it, as it was an order, and that partner was Penelope. Lilith, as I said earlier, was not thrilled, so she dismissed her in the beginning, but as time flew, they became close. They got along like peas in a pod, and worked together nicely, despite the fact that they never succeeded in capturing Eda. Everything was working out, until one day on a mission to capture her, Penny saw King, and didn't want him to grow up without a parental figure like she did, so she argued with Lilith that she shouldn't go after her, because Eda had a kid to look after. After a long argument, Lilith pushed her into the portal to the human realm, closed it, and stormed back into the castle, tears in her eyes." At the recollection of one of her worst memories, Penny's eyes began to water as she tried to blink back the tears. However, it was unsuccessful, as she started to cry, which turned into sobbing. Luz , frowning in sympathy, came up to her and engulfed her in a hug. Then everyone, besides Hunter, followed. . Hesitantly, he came up and wrapped his arms around her. "It's good to see another traumatized teen from the emperors coven," he whispered in her ear, making Penelope let out a chuckle through the sobs. They started to let go, Hunter being the last to stop holding her. And for some weird reason....

It made her heart pound.