t h i r t e e n

Hiyori shut the door behind her, sighing. She was preparing a surprise for Yuki and Yato, and she wanted everything to be perfect. The boys had done so much to help her in the past, she couldn't help but feel guilty. They made so many sacrifices for her, and she wanted to return the favor.

Hiyori walked back to her room, padding softly to her bed and plopping down face-first on a pillow. She had been working all day on their surprise, hoping that they would not only like it, but would accept the gift. Hiyori sighed softly into her pillow, flipping herself over onto her back.

"Hiyori!" Her mother called. Hiyori groaned, standing up.

"Coming!" She yelled, walking out of her room and down the stairs to where her mother was standing. "What's up?" She questioned, leaning her elbow on the counter.

Her mother walked to the fridge, unpinning a list and handing it to her daughter. "I need you to get some groceries for lunch." Her mother pulled a couple bills out of her pocket, placing them in Hiyori's hands before turning back to the counter.

"I'll be right back, mom!" Hiyori waved, walking out of the kitchen and towards the front door, stepping out into the warm sun. Hiyori breathed in deeply, closing the door behind her. Taking large steps, Hiyori headed towards the small grocery store down the street.

////////

A chime went off as Hiyori opened the door, gazing around at the aisles. She grabbed a basket, heading straight to the produce. The list wasn't very long, so it was only a few minutes until Hiyori had grabbed everything on the list. Hiyori grabbed a bag of candy, tossing it in with the groceries as a small treat to herself for all the work she had done on the gift to Yato and Yuki.

Humming to herself, Hiyori gave the basket and the list both a quick once-over before deciding that she had gotten everything she needed. Smiling at the song stuck in her head, Hiyori walked to the counter.

"Did you find everything you neede - Hiyori?" A familiar voice whispered her name, sadness laced through it. Hiyori raised her head, eyes meeting those of Kairo. Her smile disappeared, transforming into a scowl. She smirked internally, however, at the large purple bruise on his jaw where she had punched him.

"What are you doing here?" She growled, eyes glaring icy holes into his heart.

Kairo was stunned at her harsh tone, shock preventing an answer for a few seconds. "I, umn, well I got fired from the bowling alley after they found out what happened, and the only place that would accept my resume was here, 'cus my parents own it." He rambled on nervously, hatred radiating off of the girl standing in front of him. Kairo wanted to hug her and apologize, but he didn't doubt that she would kick his ass if he got near her.

"Just check me out so I can get out of this store." She snarled viciously. "This store is beginning to smell like pervert." The words were laced with venom, stabbing him in the heart. Kairo knew that what he had done was wrong, but he had liked Hiyori so much that he wasn't sure what else to do. It was evident to him that she was in love with someone else, and he was acting on an impulse. He hated himself for what he had done to her.

Kairo hung his head low, sighing. He swiped her groceries against the scanner with no intention of furthering their conversation. Finishing, he placed her bags on the counter.

"That'll be ¥1,859.57 [$15.47 US dollars]." He squeaked, voice cracking. Hiyori laughed internally, refusing to show any signs of happiness around the boy in front of her. Handing him the correct amount of money, she yanked her groceries off of the counter and started walking towards the door.

"Hiyori, wait!" Kairo yelled, hopping over the counter and running towards her. Hiyori heard him, placing her bags of groceries on the floor and spinning around. The boy stood in front of her, eyes filled with sorrow. Hiyori was stone-faced, his expression doing nothing.