Conventions

Conventions are another matter. People who hope to find The Way set up conventions to make it possible to play without thinking by using still another set of rules. That makes it work instead of play.

Conventions are probabilities, and when you limit yourself to them you miss the possibilities.

When even two people with different conventions come together it can literally be a murder, although as a rule the dying is slow.

---

They go on trying to beat me in what they think of as their way, which is everybody's way, instead of responding to my way in their way - which makes chess very interesting and exciting when people do it. 

---

Sometimes probabilities just won't get you out of the fix you're in, and then you have to look for the possibilities - which of course you can't do if you think they are impossible. So you stay stuck. Then you think that the world is against you, which in a way is true, but it is only the fictitious world of conventions that is against you. 

---

How can I play this game on the basis of the way the cards were in time past or might be in the future? You can think about the past or think about the future, but that isn't living because you're only thinking about them - you can't do anything in either of them.