20. Heer

"Bete, nikah wo paak rishta hai, jisme Allah husband aur wife ke dil me ek doosre ke liyea Mohabbat, izzat, aur ehtaram dal te

"Bete, nikah wo paak rishta hai, jisme Allah husband aur wife ke dil me ek doosre ke liyea Mohabbat, izzat, aur ehtaram dal te. And you cannot fight it. Aap dono ke nikah ko ek hafta hua, lekin ek doosre ke saath rehna ek dum alag baat hai." I let out a long breath, leaning my back against the bed frame. It was yet another shaadi class where baba tells me dos and don't in a relationship.

"Main dua karunga ki Allah tum dono ko sabr de, ek doosre ko samajh ne ki toufeek de." Baba continues, working on braiding my hair.

"Ameen," I mutter because that is exactly what I want. Sabr and sukoon in my life.

"You will have to learn to put Imran before you, Maryam." He continues. "I know all your life I've taught you something very different but given the circumstances, you both were tied under, it is very important you think of him before yourself. It's not going to be easy, beta. You'll have to work towards keeping this relationship going."

"Ji, baba," I whisper and wait for him to tie the band at the end of the plait. He smiles at me through the mirror, a teary smile that somehow manages to awaken the boulder in my throat. I get on my knees and spin around to give him a hug. More like seeking reassurance for myself. I keep my hands in the air to not ruin the henna the artist has spent hours on and press my cheek into his chest.

"I love you, baba. And I'm going to miss you."

"I'm going to miss you too, mera chanda." He says, patting the back of my head. "Ab tak aap sirf mera ghuroor the. Kal ke baad, aap officially Imran ka ghuroor, uski izzat, uska support banne jare. You've never let me down. And I know you'll only make him proud."

Tears started to fill my eyes at the mere thought of going away from the man I've been with ever since I popped out of Ammi's womb. Only Allah knows how I'm going to live my life without him. Before I burst into sobs in front of him, I pull away completely. Flashing baba with a fake strong smile, I get to my feet and amble out of his room.

A loud breath leaves my mouth, as I try to calm down and collect my bearings before going to my room where Saira and Rehana baji were probably waiting for me. Yes, they had planned a girls-only night as though everything happening the past week was normal. And that everyone was happy and can't wait to celebrate our unexpected wedding.

"Bete, do you need anything?" Ammi inquires as I pass by the living room to reach the staircase.

"Nahi," I refuse and ascend the stairs slowly. I see Rehana baji make her way down with a glint in her eyes. When she reached where I was, she stops me and whispers something I was not sure I heard correctly.

"Imran is waiting for you in your room." Baji squealed in my ear.

I blink. Once. Twice. "W-what?"

"He is here. And he wants to see you. Now." She emphasized.

"Where is he, again?"

"In your bathroom."

"What?!"