"I can't wait for this damn party to be over," Abhiram dove right into the soft, plush bed. Sprawled on the bed languorously, and his head propped on his elbow, his eyes had a feral shine to them. The first two buttons of his shirt were undone that gave a glimpse of his virile body underneath. With his ruggedly handsome features, he could be posing for a magazine cover.

"That sounds ominous." Ritika teased him.

Instead of replying, Abhiram just gave a naughty smile that held silent promises. He ran his fingers through his hair and pulled himself out of the bed reluctantly.

"I will get ready now," he said and dropped a peck on Ritika's cheek. Suddenly her face felt warm.

"Shraddha will be here soon. You can join the party before she comes," Ritika told him.

Abhiram nodded.

Shraddha was the anaesthesia consultant at their hospital. Shraddha had asked Ritika the previous day if she could get ready there.

"She would help me with my make up." Ritika added.

Abhiram scrunched his nose. He was not a fan of make up. "Ask her not to be too liberal with the make up. It would be a pity if I can't recognize my own wife."

***

An hour later, Abhiram was at the lawn where all the arrangements for the party were done. It was already dusk and fairy lights were strung all over. Snacks were being served at a corner and then there was a make-shift bar at another corner. The table with cocktails and mocktails looked inviting. Abhiram was not a teetotaler but today he didn't have the mood for alcohol. He had plans for later that would demand his undivided attention. He reached for a mocktail and went back to chatting to a couple of male surgeons.

One of the surgeons went on about how they should be having parties like these more often.

"It's so difficult to recognize these ladies," the surgeon whispered as couple of lady doctors waltzed past them.

Abhiram smiled. The doctor was right. Their profession didn't usually let them dress up every day. It was on occasions like these that they had the opportunity to let down their hair if they wanted to be.

Out of the corner of his eyes he spotted Ritika walking into the lawn with Shraddha. She was in a black saree that shimmered and thin gold border. It hugged her curves perfectly. Her thick, shoulder length hair was left loose and she had very subtle make up done to her face. She looked like a dream. It would be a juggernaut task to just look and not touch her for the next two hours or so.

And then she turned around to speak to someone.

Abhiram stiffened. What was she wearing? The nearly backless blouse she was wearing seemed to be held together by thin belts tied together. He heard a sharp intake of breath from one of his colleagues standing next to him. He ground his teeth together and balled his fist involuntarily.

Had they noticed his reaction? Most importantly were they gawking at her? He knew every man's eyes would be on her this evening. It felt like someone had punched his gut. Hot bile rose in his throat every time someone gave his wife as much as a second look. This level of possessiveness and jealousy were a novel experience for him. He was surprised by his own reaction. He was far from perfect but he didn't recognize his own self today. He was behaving like a blend of an insecure teenager.

Ritika would probably laugh out loud if she came to know what he was feeling right now.

The rest of the evening, he spent away from Ritika. He didn't want to test the limits of his own sanity. There was a live band that was playing for their benefit in the hotel courtyard. He found Rohan there. They got talking and Abhiram surprisingly had a fun time with him.