Chapter 5

Ritika lay curled up against Abhiram, her cheek gently pressing against the dampness of his chest while listening to his heart pounding against its cage. His arms were around her, clasping her tight in a silent promise to never let her go. She loved the way he cuddled her.

Ritika rasied her head and studied him quietly. His heavy lidded gaze roamed lazily over her nude body and his mouth was twisted into a subtle smile. She trembled at his bold perusal and the next instant, he pulled the duvet over to cover them both.

"Sorry," he murmured into her ear and her skin broke into goose bumps. Did he think she was trembling because she was cold? She smiled at her husband's ignorance. She ran her fingers over his unshaven jaw and planted a kiss on his chin.

"What have you decided?" she asked him.

"Good plan, Ritu. You totally wore me out and now you want to discuss?"

"Tell me. Why are you so reluctant?" Ritika had to know what was bothering him so much. Why was he so averse to the idea of another child?

"First one, I'm not ready to share you with one more human being. Already, Abhika has taken up all of your heart leaving me with only a paltry corner." Abhiram murmured.

"Do you realize how cheesy and stupid you sound, Ram? These are all excuses. I want the real reason. "

Abhiram inhaled deeply.

"I don't want to let go of what we have now. We have time for each other now, which won't be the case if we have one more kid. Have you even thought of the responsibility? The stress? You were so sick during the early months the first time around. It's a whole lot of things, Ritu."

"Obviously, responsibility comes with it. And being sick is inevitable with being pregnant. Do you think it is fun to put on twenty kilos of weight and waddle around the house?"

Abhiram looked amused. He chuckled softly.

"You looked cute. Hot, perhaps." The next moment, she felt him stirring against her and her eyes widened.

"You.Are.Unbelievable," Ritika enunciated each word.

"More like insatiable. May be we should put on some clothes."

He gently swatted his palm against her bottom and got out of the bed to put on his boxers. Ritika too scrambled out of the bed and reached for her dress.

"Okay give me six months to play the idea in my head," Abhiram tried negotiating but it only earned him a glare.

"Three months?" Abhiram raised his brow.

Ritika sighed. He really didn't seem ready. May be she should reconsider the idea.

"Fine, let me think too. Now that you have told me what you feel."

***

It was ten in the morning. Abhiram was at the hospital. The medical administrator had called him a while ago and asked him to join him post-lunch for a quick chat. Apparently he wanted to pick Abhiram's brain about the ER-ICU set up.

Rohan and Sara were in his room too.

Sara was on the laptop, typing a case report for publication. Rohan had been ogling at Sara for the past ten minutes but to no avail. Abhiram shook his head at his junior's pathetic attempts at wooing a girl. Not that he was a pro, but he definitely did better than this, he thought.

The ear-splitting siren from an ambulance reached the ER. Rohan and Sara were immediately on their way to receive the patient. A middle aged man was wheeled in to the ER in a stretcher, his shirt covered in blood and looking disoriented.