Chapter 53: Glorious Purpose

Start from the beginning

"What is it?" she asked, putting a hand worriedly on your arm.

"What did you say?"

"That we haven't had a single word from---"

"No! No, th--th--the time," you shook your head frantically, trying to speak, "How long has it been?"

Your mom looked concerned.

"Five days?" she answered slowly, phrasing it more as a question.

You let her hand drop from your arm as you turned away, walking off a few steps as you tried grasping what you'd heard. Your mom was speaking to you, but you weren't hearing any of it.

Five days...it's only been five days.

After ten seconds of panic, you realized that this wasn't a bad thing. That if anything you'd been blessed.

"Wren!" your mother said more forcefully,and you snapped back to her.

"Yeah, sorry, so so sorry ma I-I-I can't, uh, I d-don't know how---I can't explain it easily, I mean you won't...ugh," you pressed your palms to your forehead, taking a deep breath and wiping the tears from your face, "I have to show you something."

You took her to your bags on the lawn.

"Ok...you know the MCU?"

"With you as a daughter?" she sassed.

"Forgot where I got it from," you muttered, "Yeah ok, good. So...the MCU...I went there. And before you say anything!!!" you cut off her look, "I can prove it."

You picked up the spear, which your mother got a very "protective mother" look over.

"Where did you get that??? Is that a spear? Wren, why do you have---"

"Just let me show you!"

"You hit me with it and I stab you back," she relinquished the mom look, stepping away another foot to prove her lack of trust in you wielding a weapon.

"Now...you've seen Infinity War with me. Remember, that one where they're fighting the purple guy? Amy and I made you watch it?"

"Yeah, 'Mr. Stark, I don't wanna go', that one. Tom Holland dies."

"Yeah, well... remember Chadwick Boseman's character? The Black Panther? How they go to his place and fight those space dogs?"

She looked at the spear and then back at you, understanding where this was going.

"No," she shook her head, readjusting her glasses, "Nope, no no no, I'm not doing this. I can't believe that you're---"

"Mom, I didn't just run away, ok?! I wouldn't do that, not without telling you where I was---"

"Without telling me where you were going??? No, you would do that!" she said angrily, fumbling with her pocket, "Because you did!" she shoved the folded paper in your hand.

Opening it, you saw your handwriting. The note you'd left months, or days, ago. You closed your eyes as you sighed, feeling guilty all over again for leaving.

"Mom, I ---"

"No, don't. You leave, telling us you're not abducted, but can't tell us where you're going? And I'm supposed to believe that nothing happened to you? No. I come after two days of hearing nothing from you, to find this letter! And I think that you really were taken, that someone put you up to this, made you write it!"

She was crying angry and stress-filled tears.

"Mom!" you said urgently, but as comfortingly as you could, "I couldn't tell you, ok? Because you wouldn't have believed me anyway! Heck, I didn't even know! But I can show you! You know what I was gonna say. This spear is from there. From Wakanda. Chadwick Boseman's place. It can shoot and everything."