16. "You're a-" "Yeah!"

Começar do início

"No! MJ I swear to you, that is not it at all!"

"Then what is it?" Amara hesitated, "what is it, Amara?!"

Amara had no idea what to say, so she silently and quickly made a pros and cons list in her head, she did this every time she found herself in a situation where she had to make a life-changing choice.

Okay, cons first - I would be revealing my secret identity to someone other than my family, I would have to deal with my dad when he finds out and I'd be putting MJ in the direct line of fire if she knows who I am. And what if we're ever not best friends, would she tell people? But then again, it would be nice to have someone else know about this, and dad doesn't technically need to know right away. And MJ would be in danger even if she didn't know who I was, just by knowing me, at least this way she knows what to expect and she can back out if wants to. Plus, telling her would mean that there would be no more secrets between us, and therefore less of a chance that we'd fall out. And I trust MJ to keep this a secret even if we're not friends anymore... And it would be nice to have someone cover for me at school too when-

"Amara!" MJ said.

"What?"

"Were you gonna say something, or just leave me in the dark as usual?"

Amara halted, thinking this through one last time before it was too late to turn back.

"Amara Rogers, I swear to god, if you're not gonna-"

"That's not my name," Amara said, so quietly that it was just above a whisper, but MJ heard it.

"What?" MJ looked fed up by this point, her so-called friend was gonna let her down once again.

"That's not my name," Amara said once again, louder this time.

"What do you mean that's not your name?! Are you insane?!" MJ exclaimed, obviously confused about what her friend was saying to her.

"My name isn't Amara Rogers."

"Then what is it? Some kind of embarrassing name that you just had to change because you couldn't live with it? Mildred? Muriel? Marlene? A name beginning with something other than 'M'?"

Amara laughed, "No!"

"Then what? You've just been lying to everyone for months?! Even Ned and Peter and- and me?" MJ's voice trailed off and Amara could see the hurt clearly on her face. She never meant to hurt her.

"My name isn't Amara Rogers... it's Amara...Stark..." Amara said the last bit so quietly that MJ couldn't understand it even with how quiet the bakery was.

"What was that?"

She whispered, louder this time, but only enough for MJ to hear, "Amara... Stark."

Amara saw MJ's eyes widen in realisation, "As-as in, T-Tony Stark? So you're a-"

"Yeah! I'm a Stark! Holy shit, you have no idea how good it feels to finally tell someone!"

"Wait, no! That- that doesn't make sense! Tony Stark doesn't have a daughter, he's never had a daughter! How can you possibly be his daughter?! You don't even look like him!"

"I'm adopted," Amara shrugged.

"Why would Tony Stark, billionaire and playboy, adopt a kid?!" MJ was very clearly in denial and Amara had no idea how to prove the truth to her.

"You know the musical Annie? It's kind of like that."

"What?! Annie? What the hell are you talking about?! Amara... are you on drugs? Is that what's really going on here?"