133

warnings: swearing, unrequited love, angst

"y/n, please!" jj pleaded as he chased after you. he stopped in his tracks when you abruptly turned to face him.

"what do you want? what is there to say? you like kie, not me, so leave me the fuck alone, will you?"

you turned to continue walking and based on the footsteps you heard trailing behind you, you assumed he didn't get the message you so clearly presented to him. at this point, you didn't care. you wanted away from him.

jj maybank was and has always been your best friend and tonight was the night you were going to tell him how you really felt. you'd confided in pope and he was going with you to be your wingman to make sure you didn't chicken out of it. if only you two hadn't stumbled upon jj telling john b that he really liked kie and if it weren't for the no-pogue-on-pogue-macking rule, he'd do something about it. the blond heard pope calling after you once you ran off and after a quick explanation from the heyward boy of what just happened, jj followed after you.

"i want to talk about this," jj urged, still hot on your tail, "you're my best friend and i can't lose you."

"don't call me that," you sighed pitifully when you stopped walking, cringing at how pathetic you sounded. you turned to face him and let your sad eyes meet his beseeching ones. "i know it's what i am to you and all i'll ever be to you, but hearing it right now is like a stab to the heart, so please, please, don't call me that."

jj let out a defeated sigh of his own, fighting back the urge to wipe away the lone tear that fell down your cheek. normally, he'd get rid of it in a heartbeat, but now, he was scared to cross that line. instead, he remained where he was and asked, "are we gonna be okay?"

your shoulders slumped while your gaze drifted off to the side before it came back to the crystal-clear blue one you normally felt such comfort in. you didn't feel that now. you were actually quite uncomfortable around him—something you wished to never feel around the blond.

"i don't know, jj," you told him softly as you backed away and shook your head, trying desperately to fight back the oncoming breakdown, "i just don't know."