── 𝘁𝗵𝗿𝗲𝗲. caving in

Start from the beginning

No, it wasn't even in the question. She didn't owe Oliver anything, and no matter how badly she did want to get underneath Aspen's skin, it wasn't worth it.

God, her brain felt like the inside of a washing machine, everything was muddled and a mess. She just needed to pause for a moment to sort through her dirty laundry, separate the lights from the darks and take anything delicate out completely - they were problems to take care of another day, when she was in a better position to handle them properly. And everything would be completely fine. Everything was completely fine.

Elodie was great at laundry, after all - organising through mess was her area of expertise.

The start of classes could not have come soon enough. The routine, the distraction - after a long, painful summer and a weird few days, it was what Elodie desperately needed to gain a bit of stability back in her life. By the time Monday morning rolled around, she was practically gagging for it.

The first morning of a new year was always a busy one, but as Head Girl, it was pretty heaving. Elodie had already met with the other Prefects to discuss night patrol duties, and handed out the class schedules for her entire house. And things would be even busier than usual this year, considering they would be working towards their NEWT exams. With six subjects, plus music rehearsals and Prefect duties, Elodie's schedule was jam-packed. It was a blessing, really - she hadn't actually had the time to think about Aspen since yesterday noon.

"If I never have to wear a robe that isn't my dressing gown again after this year, it wouldn't be enough", Willa groaned with disgust as she pulled her platinum hair out from underneath her shirt collar.

"But the dull grey tones bring out the delicate sparkle in your eyes", Elodie teased with a pout, as the two best friends wandered down the first floor corridor, their other three friends trailing closely behind them.

"Ha ha", the blonde rolled her eyes, "But seriously, these things should be illegal. It's making my skin break out in hives - I swear, I'm allergic to polyester."

"I'm fairly certain what you're allergic to is authority and restraint", Margot interrupts from behind them, placing a hand on either of Willy's shoulders.

"You know what, that is so true", Willa responds, her body suddenly stiffening, "Oh, look - sexy new professor at ten o'clock."

"Professor Lupin?", Elodie chuckles, "Only you would fawn over a professor, Will."

Margot's eyebrows knit together, "He's not even attractive."

"Okay, you do not get to make a judgement on this considering you are attracted to women", Willa shakes her head, "No, there's just something about him. It's like, he has this shy quality to him, you know, and this tenderness, but he's so rugged and dark at the same time. Harper, you love unreachable men - back me up here."

Harper nods her head, "True, he seems almost dangerous, and troubled, like that soft demeanour is harbouring some kind of secret hidden beneath."

"Right", Willa shrugs, "Secretive and sexy."

"You guys are ridiculous", Elodie laughs with a roll of her eyes, her head shaking.

She wanted to take a stronger part in her friends' conversation, but as soon as they had gotten within sight of the Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom, all Elodie had been able to focus on was the crowd gathered outside the door. Classes at NEWT level were no longer organised into houses, and so the collection of students waiting in the corridor was rather mixed, with students from all four houses alike, and the class seemed much larger than the average size. But the class's composition was not what Elodie was studying so intently.