When you're near me darling can't you hear me SOS

Start from the beginning

"Right on time." Karen Wheeler said, setting down a casserole dish. "I really hope you like chicken casserole, Edward." Mike laughed. "It's Eddie." Eddie said, rolling his eyes. "Apologies. I should have known." Karen said, trying to be overly nice to compensate. "Well I'm Karen." she began. "That's Ted, you know Mike and Nancy, and this is Holly." Karen gestured to her husband and 6-year-old daughter. Eddie grinned and waved. "Now sit." Everyone gathered around the dinner table in their kitchen.

"So what are your future plans?" Ted asked Eddie as soon as they all dished up the food. "At the moment. Just graduating." Eddie said. "Nancy's really been helping me in our history class. I think the third time's the charm." "Third?" Ted asked.

"It's Eddie's third time going through senior year." Mike answered. "Really?" Karen said with growing interest. "And why is that?" Ted rolled his eyes but yet awaited an answer. "Um." Eddie began. "I just never cared that much about school. I now know I actually need to but it's now too late. You live and you learn." Eddie shoved food in his mouth. "Right Mike." Ted said. "He's just moody because he misses El-." Nancy corrected herself. "Jane."

"Ooh and who is Jane?" Eddie asked. "She wouldn't appreciate you being a delinquent." Ted added. He then yelped, Karen obviously shoving the heel of her pumps onto his toe. "Well I'm glad you finally realized. Hopefully this all works out for you. Some people spend more time with things. As long as there isn't a fourth." "Hopefully not because I don't think I could tutor you next year at Emerson." Nancy laughed. "I think you would. Come on Big Wheeler, you love me." Nancy offered him a thin lipped smile and resumed eating. Her cheeks flushed as Karen eyed Nancy suspiciously.

"Nancy, can you help me with the desert? I think it's in the freezer in the garage." Karen got up and began to walk in that direction. Nancy quickly got up and followed her mother.

"Mom. What are you doing?" Nancy asked as soon as they were in the garage. "You're in love with him aren't you?" Karen asked without missing a beat. Nancy's mouth fell open but no words came out. "He's the school 'freak' if you will. I know things with Jonathan ended awkwardly. And you're a smart girl. I get that he's sweet and all and is probably a good student. But do you really think it's a good idea to be with him? I mean he does drugs." "He's a good person Mom." Nancy began. "And funny. And charming. He's very nice and helps me in return with stories. Eddie is-" She paused. "I know he's different from Jonathan and especially Steve. And I don't think he or I is even ready for a relationship of any kind. We're friends." Karen sighed. "I do like him. And while he is certainly different from the rest. I think you should think carefully about what you're getting yourself into."

Nancy does think. She's battled monsters from other worlds. Been the one with the solutions to help defeat them. Her trauma is what makes her, she even grieved her best friend alone.

"I do think things through but I'm not even sure of what I want right now. I don't even think he-" she paused her ramble as Karen grinned. "While I have my reservations, Nancy, you are blind if you think he doesn't like you that way." "How could you tell?" Karen opened the freezer as she dug around for the bin of ice cream. Karen emerged, set the bin on the floor, and grabbed her daughter's shoulders. "No man you have been with has ever looked at you like you are their entire world."

Nancy thought back to Steve. He did look at her that way but sometimes it was laced with sympathy and his own pining. Jonathan did to a certain degree but his actions never seemed to reflect that. Something she would always admire about Jonathan was his ability to put his family first, but at that point where would she fit. She knew Eddie had his uncle who he loves. But she has no idea where she would fit in his life. Before dating Jonathan, she only saw him before all the Upside Down stuff and their world went to shit. Same with Stevem he only came to her when he needed her, not when she needed him. Both would try but ultimately failed. Then she realized. Nancy already had a place in his life. They had fallen together naturally. On the night when Hellfire didn't meet he would move his scheduled band practice to later in the day just to see her. He even invited her to a few of his practices and gigs, learning about one another in-between. The only thing he never brought up with her was the drug dealing. She didn't know the extent of all that. He kept her far far away from that.

"I-" Nancy began. "I don't like the drug use but he keeps it away from you and Mike. That is something a mother can appreciate. Who doesn't dabble at that age?" Nancy's eyes widened. "Now." Karen picked up the bin. "Think it through. You'd be stupid not to at least act on it." Karen left her alone in the garage. Nancy thought about it. But she'd already been gone too long. She ran back to the house to the kitchen. She sat in her place next to Eddie again.

He was looking at her quizzically. "What." Nancy asked. "Nothing." he said with his voice laced with concern. He then stood.

"I got it Mrs. Wheeler." he said, reaching up to get some bowls from a shelf that the woman struggled to get. "Why thank you. How many scoops?" Karen dished up ice cream for everyone. Eddie handed a bowl to Holly with a sweet smile. He sat down beside her again. Their hands brushed. A blush crept on both of their cheeks. Mike groaned and gave them a disgusted look. Nancy ignored it as she finished her food and ice cream. She stood to put her plates in the sink as Eddie stood at the same time. The pair awkwardly stepped around each other and he took her plates from her hands and took everyone else's when they were done.

Nancy took the time to really look at him. He was kind, helpful, respected her and everyone around her regardless if they deserved it. She tried to level her head. No coherent thought escaped except for Eddie's name over and over. Her mom's words kept replaying in her head. Think about what you're doing. She didn't really want to think at the moment. Her head was a fog as she stood. She liked him more. She loved him. It never occurred to her until now. Her feet moved themselves towards him. Her hands found his shirt collar as she pulled him down into a kiss.

They parted. Nancy then realized her entire family was still at the table. They all looked at her dumbstruck and amazed. She finally looked at Eddie as she moved her hand over her lips and took a step back. "Nancy?" he asked. The room was dead quiet. Nancy took another step back but Eddie took a step towards her as he laced his hands behind her head and kissed her again. Nancy's hands came to his chest. They then parted for a breath with swollen lips.

"What?" a voice said. It was Mike. "Oh come on you were worse with Jane." Nancy added "Wait, is Jane your girlfriend?" Eddie asked. Mike rolled his eyes. Nancy gave him a small nod. Her hands were still on his chest.

"Little Wheeler with a girlfriend. How'd you manage that?" Ted chucked. Their heads whipped to Ted. "What, I thought that was funny." Ted then stood and walked to his recliner. Eddie looked at him confused. Karen looked towards her husband with a slight scowl. She patted Eddie on the shoulder and gave her daughter a look as she went upstairs. Holly followed her. Mike just sat at the table looking from his sister to the dungeon master.

"What. The. Fuck." he whisper shouted. "Yeah Nance. What the-" Eddie said. "I just-" Nancy began. "I guess I have always liked you this way. You're an amazing person. Amazing to everyone." She gave Mike an annoyed glare. "Even if they don't deserve it." She let go of him and fiddled with her hands. "I care for you Eds." "And I care for you Nancy Wheeler. It's about time you did something. I might have had to if not." He grinned at her as they began to lean in again.

"Ew. I'm leaving. I need to respond to Will's letter anyway." Mike said running upstairs. "Shall we head home?" he asked as soon as Mike was gone. Nancy smiled up at him. "I think so." Nancy said, leading him out. "MOM I'M TAKING EDDIE HOME." she yelled up the stairs as they left.

They once again sat in silence. "So your family got the wrong idea?" Eddie asked. "No. I was just finally given the smack to act on it." Nancy said. "But why? I'm not Jonathan Byers. Or Steve Harrington. I'm not your typical type." Eddie said. Nancy pondered. "It's the way you look at me. You care. I'm not saying they didn't care. It's just different for you and me." "And how do I look at you?" he asked. "Like I'm your whole world." Nancy said. They pulled into Eddie's driveway. "Hypocrite." he said, grabbing her chin. "What?" Nancy asked. "You say that and you have looked at me like I am every waking thought in your mind. Like I'm your whole world." "Well that's a lovely coincidence." Nancy said as they both leaned in. Their lips met again. And again. And again. His fingers traced the fabric of her sweatshirt collar. He tasted like a mixture of smoke and honey.

"What do you say Big Wheeler? Enzo's at 6 tomorrow?" he suggested. "Deal." she said as they kissed one more time. He left her car and made his way inside his trailer, looking back before he was out of sight.

Alone in her car. Nancy grinned. She would get an earful as soon as she got home but for now she knew. Eddie was the one she wanted.