Coming Out Party (pt.1)

March 7 1814 Cornwall

Iris wakes up to the sounds of birds chirping and her maid Emily opening the blinds. Iris slowly sits up stretching her arms. In only a few hours, her coming out party will be starting something she had been waiting for for years. 

"Your bath is ready miss"

While soaking in her bath, Iris pondering what next steps she should take now that she is of age. She pondered whether she would marry or not. She was an heiress. It wasn't as if she had some small dowry. She would be able to provide for herself, but there were some freedoms of being married: one, you didn't need a maid to chaperone wherever you went. But, how will she take care of her papa. Since she was twelve, she had managed the household with the help of the household staff. She would oversee everything and make sure everything went smoothly and if something started to go wrong, it would be fixed before he would even notice. 

Ever since Lady Ann had passed, Lord Richard had become nervous, quiet and reserved person. He had always been a very kind man. He was kind to his staff and made sure that they were content with their living situations and never felt over worked. But, when his wife passed so suddenly, he became a very worried person. He never traveled to large cities, stating that the air was to sickly and contaminated. He never traveled period. He only stayed in Cornwall. He would not leave his home much if he could avoid it, not wanting to be in the cold, windy weather. Only church and dinner invitations from neighbors or extremely close friends such as Dwight and Caroline Enys and the Poldarks. He didn't want his daughter to travel to London for the marriage season in fear she would get terribly sick. Caroline was able to convince him and Iris promised she would drink plenty of tea and water to avoid illness. Richard would often start his days in the breakfast room with Iris and read the paper. Iris and Richard would have lovely conversations but would often come to Iris assuring him that the weather was not to cold for her to walk to the Poldarks. He would then spend the rest of the day in the drawing room reading and avoiding any cold air going through the house. Iris would make sure the staff understood their tasks to make sure Richard wouldn't think the dust would cause scarlet fever. 

Iris was popular in Cornwall, being one of the wealthiest women on that side of the country. She was always the best dressed and well mannered and had a witty sense of humor. Those closest to her knew that she had a very dirty mind and sense of humor and had knowledge of things that most of the innocent debutants didn't. Iris got out of the bathtub and continuing to get ready. 

"I think I am going to have a rather successful season Papa." Iris calmy boasted as she entered the breakfast room.

"Oh yes. Why wouldn't you? You have no reason to be nervous about anything." Richard quietly replied not looking up from his newspaper. 

"I never said I was Papa."

"And I am sure this party will much fun and it will all go according to plan."

"Again Papa I am not nervous. I know you are still worried about me going to London. But I assure you Caroline's friend Lady Danbury has a lovely and clean home for me to spend the season in. And I will write to you every chance I get, as will Caroline."

"Yes, yes, very good. Very good. Thank you."

Caroline and Dwight walked with content looks on their faces. Iris and Richard immediately grew wider smiles on their faces.

"Oh Caroline. Dwight. I was worried you weren't going to come early. Will Ross and Demelza be here shortly?" Iris asked. 

"Ross and Demelza are not far behind. We figured you would want us here to help supervise the party planning." said Dwight.

"Thank you." said Richard