Introduction

Iris Harding always loved the idea of having some independence in her life. Her mother Lady Ann Harding always taught Iris from a young age to think for herself and to not let others control your own happiness. 

Iris' parents marriage was an arrangement yet they worked very well together. While she never heard her parents say they loved each other, Lord Richard and Lady Ann were always working together in some way and they always understood each other. Iris' father let her mother have her independence and allowed to her to travel to her family's residence in London to see her dear friend Caroline Penvenen and her family whenever she well pleased. Because, Iris' father gave her mother much independence, Lady Ann supported her husband in whatever endeavors he had, whether it was his bank that had the most influence in Cornwall or his land that once a year he would make a profit from the crops and use the money in whatever investment he thought he could make a sizeable profit from. 

Caroline Penvenen and Lady Anne Harding (Ann was three years older than Caroline were good friends from the start when Iris' mother lived in London when they were just girls. When Lady Ann married Lord Richard she moved to Cornwall with him but never lost contact with Caroline. Caroline and Ann wrote to each other often. Caroline would visit them in Cornwall often, staying with her uncle Raymond 'Ray' Penvenen who was a wealthy Cornish landowner. Iris felt she had a lot in common with Caroline because they were both heiresses and loved their independence. 

When Iris was three, Ann helped Caroline elope with Doctor Dwight Enys. Iris remembered hearing her parents argue that her mother shouldn't get involved, however with her mother being as stubborn as she was, won the argument and even convinced Richard to go to the wedding ceremony. That was when Iris first met the Poldark family. A family who she would soon spend much time with and grow very close with. 

Five months later, Ann passed away due complications after her miscarriage. Leaving Iris and Richard alone in their grand estate. Caroline and Demelza Poldark stepped in to mother Iris, and Iris grew a little older she took care of her father. Richard after his wife's death became somewhat of a hypochondriac. So Iris would always make sure the estate had no visible dust and was never to cold. And having the maids change his bed sheets twice a week, no matter how silly it seemed. 

Caroline was always there for Iris and became her mother figure. They would go on long walks together in their garden and would always bring Iris with her to and Poldark party. Richard would never go due Ross Poldark keeping his horse to close to their home. He also didn't like the amount of loose dirt in their road. 

Now in present day 5 March 1814, Iris has turned eighteen and is now of age to come out to society.