Chapter 7

"Don't touch anything. I'll be back soon," Claudia ordered. Arvin looked at her and nodded. She turned around and placed her hand on the door of the silver lamborghini. There was a subtle vibration and the door swung open. As she stepped outside she turned back around to Arvin as if she wanted to say something else, her sharp features softening a bit. However they quickly stiffened back up again and she slammed the door shut.

        "Thanks for your kindness," Arvin scoffed sarcastically once Claudia was well out of hearing range. He reached down to the seat of the car hoping to find a lever to lower the seat but soon he found that 2050s technology didn't include it. Arvin let out a heavy sigh and looked around the car for something to entertain himself with. He found his eyes wandering over the the array of buttons all around the car's radio. What were so many buttons even supposed to do? Nasa's mission control never stood a chance. With Claudia's warning in mind and the memory of all those cheesy movies that ended with the hero pressing a self destruct button, he randomly pressed a button.

       "Hello Las Vegas! Its 2 o'clock and you know what that means," the radio guy chuckled although a bit unhinged.

        "I don't know shit," Arvin muttered in frustration. It was true. That weird Lovure guy had told him that it was 2050 and left without another word, and then Claudia had told him to get in her car only to leave him here now. Lovure... that name was familiar. Wasn't that one of his sister's coworkers? Yeah the stuck-up one. The one with the Pontiac. Antonio Lovure. Was that his descendant? He had a kid right? Owen or Oscar or something like that. Not that it mattered either way anymore. Life went on, much like the radio show.

        "So Eddie have you heard the news," the first radio guy chuckled with the same amount of craziness. Arvin glanced at the radio, the letters flashing across the screen: The Jonas and Eddie Show.

        "I wouldn't be *BEEP* hosting this *BEEP* radio show if I *BEEP* didn't," Eddie replied saltily as if the joy of being a radio host had long since faded away and he was only forced to be there for the remaining decades of his contract.

        "Oh Eddie you're a real hoot," Jonas continued to laugh in such a cynical manner that it was impossible to not get second hand embarrassment from it. In a split second he stopped and proceeded to continue with the news as if nothing had happened. "Today during his interview with famed holovision personality Matt Cortes, Mr. Leon McKay was making a stunning impression on everyone when the interview was suddenly cut off."

        "*BEEP* sounds more like the *BEEP* channel's problem than *BEEP* mine," Eddie complained. Jonas laughed forcibly.

        "Well although many have speculated this might be the cause of a glitch in the software, our top-secret informants in WS entertainment have told us that the interview was cut off on purpose when Leon McKay began to violently attack our beloved presenter with a wooden fruit bowl," Jonas informed the audience. There was a bout of silence from both Jonas and Eddie which made the cheerful jazz background music painfully obvious.

        "Well I'll be *BEEP* *BEEP* *BEEP*," Eddie gasped. Arvin leaned in, his attention peaked.

        "Thank god this happened before the elections so we can get a good whiff of just who it is we're electing," Jonas stated.

        "Don't listen to them," Claudia ordered, appearing suddenly and banging on his window. Quickly she scuttled over to her own seat and opened the door. Before Arvin could protest she pressed some unknown button and the radio switched to some show tunes.

        "Hey! What's you problem," Arvin demanded to know. Claudia shot him a cold glare before turning back to the radio muttering to herself.

        "Those questions were meant to provoke McKay, Matt tries to steer away from scandals so he wouldn't want to, but those questions were so personal someone must have planted them, probably the same person who told these radio idiots," she muttered, her mind racing faster than the Indy 500.

        "Are you going to explain or should I leave," Arvin asked Claudia who was slowly nearing her hand to the radio.

        "Of course you don't know anything. Leon McKay is a candidate for president. He's my fiance so I need him to win. Not because I love him but because my family is counting on me. We need him to win to keep our business. I need him to win for mom's sake. If he loses Dad will go to jail, my brother is going to lose everything he has, my aunt, my uncle, my cousins, they'll be affected too. I can't let McKay lose," Claudia struggled with her voice trying to keep it from breaking. Small droplets of tears began gathering at the corner of her eyes while her hands trembled slightly. Claudia Tinte was a fantastic little actress.

        Suddenly something clicked inside Arvin's mind. This was it. This was his moment. Esmeralda wasn't here to stop him from joining the army anymore. Here was the future president going through some struggles. If he could help the president surely he would remember him. Once he joined the army he would have the president's favor. He would rise up the ranks quickly and become a decorated hero. This was the opportunity he had been waiting for all his life.

        "Well if his opponents want to play dirty then so will we. Tell me a bit about them," Arvin suggested. Claudia gave him a confused look and slowly began to understand what he wanted. She bit her lip before sighing. Well... what could go wrong?