Surviving your first 24 hours

The first day in zombie land might be the hardest to survive. This is because you are unprepared, you will never know when it will hit you. You will lose friends, family and many more. In this post you will learn different approaches on how to survive this first horrific day.

The moment the first zombies arise you will have to act fast, and when I say fast, I mean fast. You will think of one person you want to survive the apocalypse with. This may be your girlfriend, boyfriend, father, mother, brother, sister, your best friend anyone. Get to that person as fast as you can and you can start surviving.  Be smart about deciding who you will be going with because taking your 90 year old grandma with you may not be the smartest thing to do. You need to be able to move fast and silently. And someone you trust in having your back. Together your are stronger. Do not take to many people, as I said: fast and silently. A group of around 4 would be best.

Let's go with my situation. I live In a big city away from my girlfriend. I am currently studying at a university in city A, while my girlfriend lives in city B 40 kilometers away. I will probably, depending on the place where I am, take my two roommates with me, pick up your WATCH, your best friend knowing the time when it gets dark and light, some weapons like a big kitchen knife or some baseball bats and try to rob a car, since I do not own one and go to the nearest supermarket. I will go inside and take as much canned food as I can find. Why canned food? This will last forever, and it does not smell, so take this. If you took all the canned food and can still carry stuff, take other long lasting food like stuff that does not need to be kept in the fridge. The last thing you will take is water, since in the beginning, most water sources like the tap will most likely still be working. Food however runs out quickly.

It is important to do the procedure above carefully. The streets will be roaming with zombies, raiders and police or army. Any of those could mean your death. So proceed with caution. If you are lucky and there is a weapon store in your neighborhood and try to go there. If you are lucky, he has a bow and arrow. This is the JACKPOT. Or of course a crossbow. You know, Darryl Dixon style. If not, take some guns, if there are any. In my case probably not since most people are not allowed to have firearms in my country. Also take so big hunting knives or anything like that.

When we are back in the car we can start traveling in the direction I need to go.This will be hard because the highways will be full of cars trying to flee or find their loved ones. There will be many accidents because of zombies walking on the road. So you need to be careful not to get stuck or hit, but whatever happens, try to keep driving, and never stop. Not even for living people, even if they are in your way. If you can, it is best to avoid highways. Most people WILL take the highway so avoiding them is best. I will use my phone to call my girlfriend and tell her to find the nearest space with a lock. Something like a restroom or her own room in city B. And I will tell her to stay there. I will keep on the phone since the phone bill will probably not be coming this month.

When we have finally reached her hopefully safe, the real surviving can start. What I did was actually the stupidest thing you could do. Go outside and travel by car. Why? Because I love my girlfriend and I will need her to survive and live for and of course. When the apocalypse is over the world needs to be repopulated. At least a little.

Once I have found her there are two options.

Option one: Get the hell out of the city and find a good shelter for the night and stay there and hide until the first big hit blows over.

Option two: Find a good shelter for the night in the city, but first find another supermarket and take all the stuff you can get.

Option one is the safest, If you find a good shelter, meaning from stone, and barricade the door, cover up the windows you will be safe from zombies and hopefully from raiders. When it gets dark don't make any light. This will give your location away to zombies and raiders even though you have covered up all windows light always finds its way out.  Rule number one: always have someone on guard, preferably two, this will give the guards a safer feeling and probably will stop them from falling asleep. If you hear something, be quiet and whatever you do, do not go outside. If you DO go outside, NEVER go alone, and I mean NEVER. This will be your death. The rest will try to get some sleep, if possible. You will need it, sleep with your weapon under your pillow. Switch guard duty halfway through the night. Congratulations, you have survived your first night.

Option two will probably kill you. I would never go for this way. Maybe in a later stage, but not the first day. Too dangerous, but if you do want to do this: Good luck. Aim for supermarkets, Weapon stores, or houses and search for the basement or food storage place. Take as much as you can. Always go with at least two, and again, four is best. This will make sure that when you lose one person you will not be alone. Be prepared to fight a lot of zombies and fight of other raiders or people protecting their homes. Also you become a valuable target for Raiders.