Chapter 3: Lao-mon

Transit passes quickly. Ahsoka doesn't even have enough time to introduce me to the clones before Master Skywalker and Captain Rex put us to work.

During the time we have in hyperspace, we gather all the supplies we need and load them onto gunships. Then we double and triple-check that everything is there. Once we're all sure we're not forgetting anything, we debrief.

Master Skywalker leads the briefing. He explains that the Separatists have planted a secret base on Lao-mon, the planet we'll be going to. The base is a nuisance to the people, the Shi'ido, and it's also holding valuable information. Then he lays out our plan.

We drop out of hyperspace shortly after.

Ahsoka and Fives never get their game of Sabacc.

🪐🪐🪐

When we reach the surface, Ahsoka departs with a small scouting group to investigate the secret Separatist base. Since it's a "secret" base, we don't know anything about it, so they have to report back so we can make a new plan of attack.

The rest of us move in quietly, hauling along our supplies. Only the 501st is here, as Master Kenobi is coming later. We pitch several tents: some are larger, like the tent used for a kitchen, and some are smaller, like the tents meant to sleep just two or three people.

As I finish steaking down one of the larger tents, a clone marches up to me and solutes. "Commander Welsh, we've had an, uh, supplies malfunction."

"I'm sorry to hear that," I say, waving a hand to dismiss the formality of the solute. My throat tightens in fear, but I force the next words out, sounding calm. "Is there any way I can help?"

The clone taps nervously on the screen of his datapad. "Well, you see, Jesse and I were doing the tent checks, and he's not used to having an extra commander around, so he didn't pack you a tent."

Wait, I was going to get a tent? Master Krell only let me have one of those once, and overnight, a wild animal ripped through the side and nearly killed me. I still have a scar from the attack. Master Krell blamed me and made me sleep on the ground in the open every time after that.

"That's okay, I don't mind sleeping outside," I tell the kind clone. 

At first, he gives me an odd look. Then his expression relaxes and he says, "That won't be necessary. Commander Tano doesn't mind sharing her tent with you as long as you're comfortable with it."

I want to decline so badly, but I don't want to seem rude.

"I'm fine with it," I say softly with a small smile. But on the inside, I'm screaming. I don't want to wear my cloak to bed: it's the one time I get to wear clothes that do my culture justice, and even if I do wear the cloak, the hood might fall off while I'm asleep and then Ahsoka will see my scars.

"I'll notify Commander Tano when she returns," the clone says, already stalking off.

I sigh and go back to driving the tent stake into the ground. I can feel my fingers starting to tremble as my mind races. I can't let Ahsoka see my scars. Master Krell will kill me if anyone finds out.

I'm so distracted with my thoughts that I almost don't notice Master Skywalker coming up behind me. But, since I'm always on high alert, I notice him just in time.

"Birdie," his voice still makes me jump. "Could you make a run for me?"

"Yes, Master Skywalker," I tell him, standing up and giving him a small bow to greet him.

"You don't need to be so formal," Master Skywalker tells me.

"I'm sorry, Master Skywalker." I can feel my throat tightening again. I don't want to do anything wrong.

"No, no, don't be sorry," he pauses. "I want you to run down to the town and ask the citizens what they know about the Separatist base."

"I can do that," I say.

"Are you okay with going alone? I'd send some of the men with you, but the Shi'ido are shy and might feel threatened by an armored man coming into their cities. You're less threatening."

"I can do that," I repeat.

"Great." Master Skywalker hands me a holo disk with a map of the planet. "You can use this to find your way around."

"Thank you." I take the disk.

"Be careful. Shi'ido are shape shifters and they can be deceiving," Master Skywalker cautions.

"I will, Master Skywalker," I assure him, and with his dismissal, I depart for the nearest city.

"Oh, and maybe take your hood off when you talk to them. It'll be less threatening," Master Skywalker calls after me.

I'm not so sure about that one. My scars may be frightening to them. But, if I say they're just from being attacked by a wild animal once, they might not be so afraid. And so long as none of the clones or other Jedi see, I'll be okay.

As I approach the city, I flick my hood off my head. My wavy, silvery-white hair flows freely over my shoulders, free at last. It feels good to be free from the hood.

And with one final deep breath, so my throat will open, I boldly march into the city.