On a Date

"And then I asked her to go on a date with me." I say finishing up telling Rue what happened.

"No way." She whisper yells.

I was only explaining it to her. Everyone was still here just hanging around. Rue and I stood in the kitchen, just eyeing everyone that was in the living room.

"Yes way. I don't know, she's actually cool. Guess you shouldn't judge a book by its cover." I'll shrug.

"What about Maddy? Ya know I heard from a little birdie that she's thinking about cutting ties with the douche bag." Rue replies.

"Little birdie? You mean Kat?" I ask.

"Yeah but you ain't hear it from me. Seriously though, what's up with Maddy?" She responds.

"Alright look, yesterday she came up to me and asked if we could talk privately. She told me that she wants me but I kind of told her that I couldn't be with her." I answer.

Rue looks at me as if I was crazy. "And why the hell would you say that? The girl you've had a crush on for like two years now basically says she likes you back and you blow it."

"Because everything is a game to her. It's always that lame ass cat and mouse game. That shit might work with Nate but it won't with me. Besides, I don't think she can handle the pressure of an actual relationship." I say.

"And you can?" Rue says a little too loudly, gaining everyone's attention. "You let what happened with Alexa fuck with you everyday. It's like you seem to forget how damaged you were when the relationship ended. I don't think that's a fair reason as to why you keep pushing her away. Especially when she's the one you really want."

I sigh deeply knowing that she's right. It's not a justified reason for me to continuously push Maddy away. At the same time, I'm not always going to be the one to chase her. If she wants me then she has to prove it. Otherwise, I'd like to see how this thing with Cassie is gonna work out.

I look back at everyone to see that their attention was on us. Great, Rue just had to open her big ass mouth.

"Who the hell is Alexa?" Cassie asks.

"Her ex-girlfriend clearly." Maddy answers like it's obvious.

"Why don't you see if getting the situation off your chest makes you feel better about it. I mean I'm like the only one that knows. Me and Bobby, anyways." Rue says.

"And it's gonna stay that way. Alexa is not that important to me anymore to keep talking about the situation." I reply.

"You're lying. It's okay to say that you're still upset. Just talk about it." She says.

I don't say anything. Instead I just look at Rue trying to figure out when the fuck she became some type of therapist. I don't like to talk about Lex for many reasons. But I guess I will today.

I exit the kitchen and sit on the couch with Rue following closely. "If I ever see Alexa again, I just might kill her."

I see everyone's eyes widen in shock, some in fear. "I don't think you should've started it like that." Rue says.

"I'm just telling the truth. She tried to kill me in the first place." I add.

"Tried to kill you how?" Jules asks.

"By setting me up. Turns out she was a member of Mob Piru. That's a blood gang. I represent South Side Compton Crips. Everyone knows the beef between bloods and crips." I pause and take a deep breath before continuing.

"We ain't meet by accident. She purposely ran into me and inserted herself into my life. I just had to be the idiot that fell for her and her plan. This shit went on for two years. I met her when I was 15. Last year, a few days after my 17th birthday, was when her and her gang tried to take me out. I thank God everyday that I realized it was a set up in enough time. If not, I wouldn't be here right now."