54 - narration

Bark.

Gina looks down at her dog Mabel and kneels to her level. "Shush. Be quiet, Mabel."

The dog barks once more and tugs on the leash, growing tired of staying in place and wanting to move from the tree Gina was currently hiding behind.

Mabel spots other dogs passing them and her tail wags excitedly. Gina groans.

She knows she's being paranoid right now. Nini probably won't even notice she is here given how focused the other girl is on her notebook. This trip to the park was supposed to be Mabel's time to play with other dogs and explore and here Gina is ripping that away.

"Where the hell is Josie?"

"Right behind you." Gina jumps startled.

"Don't do that!" Josie only smiles and hands the other girl her ice cream cone.

With Gina's grip on the leash loosening, Mabel takes that opportunity to make a run for it.

"Mabel, come back here!" Mabel, of course, doesn't listen and just keeps running.

Gina hands Josie her ice cream back and chases after her dog. Thankfully, she doesn't have to run for long since someone manages to grab hold of Mabel's leash before she could get too far. And that someone just had to be Nini.

Josie catches up to Gina when the other girl pauses in her track and elbows her side. "Mabel just gave you a perfect excuse to approach Nini. Take it."

Breathe in. Breathe out. In. Out.

Gina hooks her arm on Josie and drags her over to Nini's direction much to the brunette's displeasure.

Nini spots them and stands up from her picnic blanket. "Gina! Uh, is this your dog?" The girl asks petting the dog in her hands.

"Y-yeah." Gina looks down at the ground and notices the mess Mabel caused to Nini's picnic area. "Sorry, Mabel's just really excited today." Gina says grabbing her dog from Nini's arms.

"Don't worry about it." Nini tucks her hair behind her ear nervously.

The three of them stand there awkwardly, not sure what to do next. The only noise coming from them was from Mabel and Bodhi playing.

Thankfully they're brought out of their growing awkward situation when a voice from behind them calls Nini's name. "Neens, did you make a mo— Oh."

The four of them grow silent once more. They continue to stare at each other, waiting for someone to say or do something.

Bark. Bark.

"Cute dogs." Hope comments. Desperately hoping that it starts a conversation and gets them out of their awkward position.

"Thanks." The two girls respond.

"What are their names?"

"This is my dog Bodhi. And Gina's dog Mabel." Josie introduces, picking bodhi up from the ground and grabs his paw to have at Hope.

The auburn-haired girl smiles. "So, uh, what are you guys doing here?" She asks, fixing up her picnic blanket, and setting the two cups in her hands down. She sits with her legs crossed and Nini does the same.

"Playdate for these little angels." Josie answers. The auburn-haired girl nods.

"You guys can sit, by the way." Nini offers when Hope fails too. "T-that is if you want to and d-don't have anywhere to be." The songwriter quickly adds.

The two girls do so, putting their dogs to sit on their laps. Mabel and Bodhi don't try to fight, they both take that time to nap and enjoy their owners caressing their fur.