Chapter 3

"So, what have you been working on?" Hiro asked Tadashi as he grabbed a roll of duct tape from a table.

"I'll show you," Tadashi said as he chewed off a piece of duct tape from the roll.

"Duct tape? Hate to break it to you, bro. Already been invented." As Hiro said that, you watched Tadashi stick the piece of duct tape on Hiro's arm and rip if off relatively quickly.

"Hey! Dude! Ow!" Hiro said as he rubbed his arm. A few beeping sounds came from a small red box a few feet from where you were sitting. The robot you and Tadashi were working on inflated out of the box. You couldn't describe what it resembled. It looked like a big marshmallow with a face.

"This is what I've been working on," Tadashi said, gesturing to Baymax. You watched Baymax walk over to Hiro. The seat you were sitting on was in Baymax's way, so you moved.

"Hello. I am Baymax. Your personal healthcare companion. I was alerted to the need of medical attention when you said, ow."

"A robotic nurse," Hiro said, surprised and astonished at the same time.

"On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate your pain?" You watched ten faces show up on Baymax's built-in screen. There were a few things Tadashi added to Baymax that you didn't know.

"Physical or emotional?" Hiro asked Tadashi. Tadashi made a pouting face signaling emotional.

"I will scan you now." You watched Baymax move his head slowly up and down. "Scan complete. You have a slight epidermal abrasion on your forearm. I suggest an anti-bacterial spray." Baymax lifted his finger up ready to apply the spray.

"Woah, woah, woah. What's in the spray, specifically?" Hiro asked Baymax.

"The primary ingredient is bacitracin."

"That's a bummer. I'm actually allergic to that." Hiro said matter-of-factly. You knew Hiro wasn't allergic to bacitracin. He was probably testing Baymax on how much he knew.

"You are not allergic to bacitracin. You do have a mild allergy to peanuts."

"Not bad. You've done some serious coding on this thing, huh." Hiro said as Baymax sprayed his arm.

"Actually, (y/n) helped me with most of the work. We programmed him with over 10,000 medical procedures."

You opened the access port to Tadashi's chip. "This chip is what makes Baymax, Baymax." You said to Hiro. You watched Hiro walk around Baymax.

"Vinyl?"

"Yeah, going for a non-threatening, huggable kind of thing."

"Looks like a walking marshmallow. No offense."

"I am a robot. I cannot be offended."

"Hyperspectral cameras?"

"Yep."

"Huh." Hiro stuffed his face on Baymax's exterior. "Hmm. Titanium skeleton?"

"Carbon fiber."

"Right. Even lighter. Killer actuators. Where did you get those?!"

"Oh, machined them right here, in-house."

Hiro's face came back out of the exterior. "Really?"

"Yup. He can lift 1,000 pounds." You added.

"Shut up."

"You have been a good boy. Have a lollipop." You watched Baymax hand Hiro a red lollipop. You added that feature to Baymax being that caring and an adorable person you are even though Tadashi found no use in it.

"Nice."

"I cannot deactivate until you say you are satisfied with your care."

"Well then, I'm satisfied with my care."

You watched Baymax walk back to his port while Hiro and Tadashi were talking. Suddenly you hear a voice at the doorway.

"Burning the midnight oil, Mr. Hamada?"

You saw Professor Callaghan standing in the doorway of Tadashi's lab.

"Oh, hey, Professor. Actually, I was just finishing up."

"Well, I saw you had your brother visiting, so I decided to meet him. I also need y/n in my office for a couple of minutes to discuss something important."

You turned to Tadashi. "I'll meet you guys at the café. Just tell Aunt Cass I'll be there later." You got up from your seat and walked out of Tadashi's lab. As you walked past the doorway Professor Callaghan told you to wait in his office while he talked to Hiro.

-----Time Skip-----

You were sitting in front of the desk waiting for Professor Callaghan to finish talking to Hiro. You decided to get up and walk around because you've been sitting for about 10 minutes now. You noticed a few framed pictures and diplomas hanging on the wall. One picture had him and a girl around Tadashi's age smiling for the camera. It looked like she just graduated college.

"That must be Abigail, I remember her from when she visited SFIT." You thought to yourself.

Most of the pictures on the wall were of him and Abigail. "I wonder why Professor Callaghan doesn't talk about her that much." You were snapped out of your trance when you heard the door open behind you. You turned around to see Professor Callaghan.

"Sorry, I got bored, and I decided to-"

"It's okay. I took long didn't I."

"A little, but it's fine."

"Please, take a seat." He said, adjusting himself in his chair.

You took a seat in front of his desk and filed your hands on your lap, ready for some serious business.

"I recently got a letter from the International Science Showcase addressed to you." You watched as he took a letter from one of the drawers and placed it on his desk.

"Regarding me?" You said confused as you took the letter.

"Yes. I apologize for not informing you sooner. I got an email saying that you will be representing our college, as a judge for the Showcase."

You were shocked that they would even consider you as the next judge. Frankly, you didn't even know you were in the runnings for the next judge.

"But why me?"

"You, in their eyes, are the most intelligent student in the Institute. As you know, the International Science Showcase is where one student from some of the most elite colleges goes to the Showcase to be a judge. The judges get to look at all the inventions other students have made to get a free scholarship to a college. At the end of the Showcase, each judge gets to pick a student to give the free scholarship to. Over 100 students will be at that Showcase so I'm counting on you to bring the best to our school."

"When will this Showcase be exactly?"

"That's the thing. The Showcase takes place the same day as ours. You'll also be flying far away to the ISS, so you'll have to leave a day early."

"So I have the decision to either stay here or go to the ISS."

"Yes, the council of the ISS needs your decision in four days, not including today that is. Their number is in that letter."

You wanted to go to the ISS, but you also didn't want to leave. You looked at the envelope in your hands debating whether to give it back to Professor Callaghan and decline, or keep it.

"Thank you, Professor Callaghan."

You stood up and walked out of his office. As you were walking out, you were listing the pros and cons of going. One con popped out in your mind. How were you going to tell Tadashi?