Chapter Thrity-Eight

Start from the beginning

Although with these signs I'm observing, I kinda felt like I'm fooling myself.

Why can't she?

Why can't I suspect someone just for watching a sport that she doesn't talk about?

I sighed.

I missed her, I really, really do.

I regretted what I've said from the beginning of this week. I can't believe hesitation got the best of me.

She may believe it or not but — this time, I won't make the same mistakes ever again and to manage that, I need patience and courage.

The buzzer sounded once again, starting the fourth and final quarter.

From outside, a bulldog passes the ball towards Jeff. He crosses, shoots and drains a mid range. Their coach, from the bleachers, claps as he leaned towards the court.

While watching, my attention was placed on Grace once more yet I was dumbfounded again.

She looks from her right and left before getting up and standing straight. With a stern look in her face, she turns around and walks by infront of students watching the game. She got into the opposite gate and exited.

From the other side, my chest lightens. I turned around and exited off my separate gate that'll lead me straight towards the school's hallway.

I paced whilst the game is still ongoing. My heart were racing, as my eyes scoured around mg vision through the hallway I was pacing in.

From a corner, a black hair, as identical as hers, was seen.

I sprints towards that very corner and headed for me to see. Shortly, I arrived yet another strands of hair was the only thing I caught. This chase lasted for a minutes yet I can't still manage to even laid a touch on her shoulders. I can't believe even in these empty hallway, I wasn't able to catch up with her.

But finally, as I took a turn, a long hallway was the only thing that distanced myself to her.

As she walks with his back facing me, I sprint towards her that made my shoes squeal. Few inches away from her, I quickly laid a touch on her shoulder that follows a judging screech that deafens me.

"Why are you touching me?" a different girl, with red chappy lips yet same hair as Grace, asked.

While she holds her phone, I was left stunned for seconds before snapping out of it.

I shook my head while my eyes turned back blue. "O-Oh, I'm very sorry, just mistook you from another girl"

She rolls her eyes. She spun around and paced as she blabbers while looking at her phone. "I saw that before, you purposely mistook a girl then ask for there number and so on—"

As her mouth faded away, I was left alone again. I'm back to zero after doing all that chasing.

Now, where could she be?

With this question in mind, I started giving up walking through different empty hallways yet found no one.

I guess it's time for me to head out.

As I said earlier, I can't be seen and need to maintain a low-key presence in public.

Although I won't be seeing the conclusion of the game, it's fun while it lasted. Whoever wins, at the end of the day, they both deserves the VIP treatment tomorrow homecoming night.

From a laminated map pinned on one of the walls, I searched where am I and learned a path towards the exit.

Catching my breathe from the previous chase, I held both my waists as I got through the final hallway where the main exit of the gym was located.

As I got in, I managed to somehow avoided some few close calls of showing my identity.

At this moment, I should've brought glasses.

With my head stoop down and cap lowered, almost having troubles seeing the path I was walking, I managed to get out from that hallway and arrived infront id the gym's both entrance and exit.

Although my little celebration of relief was spoiled immediately. There's no point in hiding anymore, no point in trying to maintain incognito.

The moment my shoes squeaks onto the tiles, my mind stopped. My foot was nailed on the ground where my shoes are under. I gulp once I was caught and got involved in probably the most awkward and maybe the worst places I can steppes in.

Me.

Grace.

Tamara.

Rachel Williams.

The four of us met eyes to eyes, along near the exit, in front of the revolving door,

As the court honked its final buzzer, all of us watched how the four of us stared at each other with different emotions, may it be grudge, embarrasment or fear.

"What a batch of kids, its fun seeing you all three in front of my eyes" Mrs. Williams showed glad yet I know deep inside, she is as fake as a person can get. "If you wouldn't mind, my daughter and I would like to walk by"

A slight frown was created in my eyebrows as she walks by pass us two.

Although halfway she stopped without Tamara noticing. "You two knows how much I love minding my own business, right? So, if it weren't much of a hassle for the two of you, please mind yourself and never meddle—"

I could see Grace's eyes sinking from her eye holes as she stares into nothing, sinking into her deep reverie.

"—because if you do once again, you'll lose a lot, much, much larger than you realize" she started walking and never looked back. She got out of the gym and walked behind Tamara on the school's main path.

I though this time I couldn't be conquered by a feeling I never once felt anymore yet — why do I felt a lot of responsibility? Her eyes, I can't believe that her eyes can be that intimidating as of Mom's.

I'm feeling something weird that I've never felt before.

Something I've never a fond of.

A feeling that was new to my system.

"Mom, why did you walk so behind?"

"I just dealt something—" she turned her head behind and took a final wide gawk at us. "—using my own hands"

And that's fear.

May

"Overall, I can finally say that — May, can finally go home. All the results are clear and I recommend you two to stay her, from now, to sudden or severe emotions, it can lead her to some emotional breakdown if that happens, just have a little bit of patience in that department. Uhm — what else — oh, thinking might be hard for her for the moment, but let her process her situation for a bit more, let her figure out things and let her decided in some easy choices. I guess that's it for me" a blurry voice of a woman entered my ears while I was semi-unconscious coming off my sleep.

Thank you for reading!!
You're the GOAT!!
Don't forget to Vote and Comment!!
💚💚💚💚💚