Chapter Eight

The next morning I slipped out and went for a run in hopes of avoiding Steve. That dream was short-lived when I returned home to find him leaning against the front door. I turned and took off into the woods behind the house and I prayed he wouldn't follow me. Of course, he followed me. Fuck does this man know how to take a hint? "Ana stop. Seriously, please stop running so we can talk."

I stopped where I was and spun on my heels toward him. "How hard is it to see that I don't want to talk to you? I'm literally running away from you. Just leave me alone." I walked past him, making sure to hit his arm with my shoulder as I passed.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have kissed you and I shouldn't have barged into your room last night. Please let me explain." I froze and slowly turned to face him

"I don't need your explanation," I yelled as I got closer to him. "Despite spending the majority of my life being treated as one, I am not an object for men's pleasure. I don't care how attractive you find me and I don't want you ever seeing me like that again. You're lucky I don't do more than give you the silent treatment Steve." I shoved his chest hard, sending him stumbling back

"It's not like that, just listen to me. Give me one minute to explain."

"I don't care what you have to say."

"Then answer a question for me."

"What?"

"Are those scars from fights or from being tortured and experimented on?"

"They're from being used as a human science fair project."

"The bullet wound?"

"Point blank range to see how fast I would heal. Left the bullet in and everything. Twice in the same place. That's where I got in my practice at bullet removal. I'm not sure how I got so lucky that they didn't hit anything but they didn't and I healed."

"Is that why you wear long sleeves around us?"

"Yes. No one needs to know about how horribly scarred and ugly I am under all these clothes."

"No, you're not ugly for having scars."

"Stop, I don't want your sympathy. I know who I am, what I am and I know I'll end up alone in this world."

"What do you mean what you are?"

"I'm a murderer, an assassin, a weapon, a liability," I screamed at him

"You're not, will you please just fucking listen to me," he yelled

"You have one minute and then I'm leaving."

"I don't know why or how or even when this happened but I have feelings for you. It doesn't make sense, I know that and I know you hate me. But I can't keep pretending that I don't feel this way about you. I'm crazy about you and around you. You piss me off like no other but the entire time I'm thinking about kissing you and I act like a dick on missions because I need you safe. The idea of anything happening to you is too much for me. On that mission where Scarlet almost got out, Nat called me in for backup for you. I got in that building and I could hear you screaming. Suddenly all the risks and the potential dangers didn't matter because you were hurt. You need help, my help. I've never heard such agonizing screams, Ana. I thought you were dying and then you collapsed on the floor. I've never been so scared. I didn't want to leave your side but I knew I needed to, you would've been so wigged out to open your eyes and see me. When we talked about how you fought her back I wanted you to say it was for me. I wanted to be the reason you found the strength to fight against her but you said, Nat. Ana, you're not an object, or a murderer, or a liability."

"You said it was Nat, I just agreed and said she would've hurt all of you."

"Well yeah but my point is you did it for Nat."