Chapter Nineteen

MAISY

MAISY

I watch the bottle bounce against his thigh and the dark liquor slosh around inside as he walks away from me. In our odd quasi-relationship Logan's never walked away from me before and I have to admit, I don't like how it feels. I watch him stumble slightly, catching himself in the blink of an eye as he unsteadily continues on to his car. He tips the bottle up and pours more of it down his throat and I shake my head, not believing what I'm seeing. This isn't the Logan I remember.

But maybe I didn't know him at all.

He leans his body up against a sleek black Mercedes, supporting himself against the vehicle as he digs his free hand into the pocket of his jeans, and searches for his keys. My eyes grow wide as my brain catches up with me. There is no way Logan is getting behind that wheel. I let out an exasperated sigh and jog towards him.

"Logan!"

He looks up at me, almost like he's forgotten that I was here and for the briefest moment his eyes soften when they take me in. It's enough to make my heart thump inside my chest, but just as quickly the look is gone and he shuts himself down. His eyes narrow and he glares at me suspiciously. I stop just a few feet away from him knowing, that for both our sake's, I shouldn't get any closer.

"You can't drive like this."

He rolls his eyes and turns his back on me as he starts to put the key in the door. I attempt to grab onto the back of his shirt, but he yanks himself free, stumbling in the process. He turns on me with a heated expression. Stepping back quickly, I lower my hands in defeat but I can't help keep my eyes locked on his, despite how much everything logical inside me is begging me to pull them away.

"You've been drinking. I can't let you get in a car like this." I stick my hand out again, this time palm up, giving him a look that dares him to argue back and willing both my hand and my voice not to tremble. "Give me the keys Logan."

At this point it doesn't matter what's going on between us; he can't drive. Logan looks down at my open hand and then back up at me like he isn't quite sure what to do so I don't give him a choice. My hand darts out and snatch the keys from the door.

"H-hey!" Logan stutters, a beat too late. He stares over at me looking dumbfounded but I'm already spinning on my heels, heading back towards my house.

"Maisy!" Logan shouts out after me. "What the fuck?"

I ignore him and keep on walking. He'll follow me; he has to. He doesn't have any other choice unless he plans on walking home, wherever that may be now.

Shoving his keys into my pocket, I continue down the sidewalk, listening as Logan calls out from behind me. I hear him getting closer and it only takes a moment before he catches up to me.

"If you wanted me to go home with you, you just had to ask," he cracks.

I glare over at him and he smirks back at me, making me cringe. "Trust me; the last thing I want is you in my home. I'm calling you a cab and you're not stepping a foot inside my house."