Chapter 9- "That's the Best Part"

Start from the beginning

Rory had caught on extremely fast to Catman's story. "So that is why the Witch is after a rock. She is looking for the Rock of Kissteria so that she can release the Destroyer?"

"Exactly."

"So where is the Rock of Kissteria?"

"That's the best part," Catman chuckled. "We have it."

Perplexed, Rory gaped at Catman. He patiently watched her, waiting for her to put the pieces together. All of a sudden, her eyes flashed in recognition.

"The Detroit Rock? The rock y'all received as a gift from the city of Detroit?"

"That would be the one. And since you will hear this from your friend later, I'll go ahead and tell you that Chakira believes that my band and I are the guardians of the Rock of Kissteria."

"Whoa," Rory breathed out once Catman was done with his story. It was a lot to take in at one time. One thing still bothered Rory, though, after he was done with his explanation. "What ever happened to the Wielder, and her daughter?"

"No one knows. Some say that she fled to Earth, wanting a safe life for her daughter. Far away from the Crimson Witch who still to this day searches for her so that she could force her to wield the Rock of Kissteria, releasing the Destroyer."

Rory's eyes glazed over as she processed all that she had learned. Catman saw how fast the wheels were turning in Rory's brain, so he made an effort to make light of the situation.

"You have really found yourself in a mystery, haven't you kitten?"

Mouth agape in shock, Rory turned her head to gawk at the drummer. Did she just hear him correctly?

Catman sat there, looking at Rory with the biggest Cheshire grin-like smile on his gorgeous face.

Wait, what? Gorgeous?

Catman watched Rory in amusement as her face turned a bright shade of red. What he would give to know what was going on in that pretty little head of hers.

What, what? Pretty?

Catman did indeed think that Rory was pretty. He decided that he would admit it to himself. Rory knew all about who the real Catman was now, so there wasn't any reason to avoid his growing feelings for the brunette any longer.

The pair did not realize how close their faces had gotten, they were caught in their own, secret bubble. Rory's and Catman's faces were only mere centimeters from faces connecting, both trying hard to contain an equal amount of nervousness and butterflies inside them.

Scooby and Shaggy chose that moment to walk into the room to find the two flustered teens quickly jump apart from each other on the drum platform. Rory couldn't believe how close she had been to sharing a kiss with Catman! Catman looked to the two boys with narrowed eyes, annoyed at their ill-timed interruption.

With a look and a shrug to each other, Shaggy and Scooby continued to carry a set of speakers to their spot in the corner. They did not have any want or need to know what had transpired before they entered the room.

After lifting the two speakers in to place, Shaggy huffed "I haven't worked this hard in like forever!"

"Rea!" Scooby agreed with his pal.

Shaggy seemed to gain all his energy back after he thought for a moment. "Hey, Mr. Catman. When do we get to eat?"

Ignoring how Rory was giggling at how Shaggy addressed him as if he was an elder man, he simply answered "After you've brought the KISS monsters onstage."

"M.m.m.monsters!?" Scooby stuttered out.

Catman seemed to not hear the fear in Scooby's voice, or either he chose not to acknowledge it. "Yea, Chip brought them over. They're below us."

Rory could only imagine how the merchandise specialist had managed to drop off massive stage props on his own. A mystery for another day.

"Like where's the stairs man," Shaggy then asked.

"You don't need them," Catman told Shaggy. He grabbed his drumsticks that Rory had placed on the ground in between them. He pressed a button on one, which Rory hadn't noticed earlier. Turns out the button was used to control the platforms, causing them to either rise or lower.

After the two boys disappeared under the stage, Rory chose to ask another question that had bubbled up in her mind.

"Why did you decide to trust me with such a huge secret?"

Catman jumps up from where they had been sitting and sticks his hand out for Rory to take. As she grabbed his hand so that he could hoist her up, he told her "let's go find the guys. I think this is a question best answered by all of us."

With that, they leave the stage area hand in hand.

___________________________

Happy reading guys <3