The Announcement

ACT 2

SCENE 1

Two weeks earlier - at the diner party - night of the engagement announcement

in the room - Joan, Hester, Stephen, Alexander, Oliver, Grace, Evelyn,

(all sitting in a lounge area, talking among yourselves, eating and drinking having a good time)

(your voices turn slowly into a quiet whisper and then miming, except Joan, Hester, Stephen and Alexander who are talking among each other so the audience can hear along with the helpers in the audience)

Joan - Hester, I hear the business abroad is going well.

Hester - You would really have to ask my husband about that, I tend to stay out of the business world.

Joan - Oh, what a shame, I get my husband to keep me up to date with every aspect of his life, it is a habit we have. I mean, I just have to know everything.

(Alexander, Hester and Stephen, raise eyebrows and look at each other sarcastically)

Alexander - I just feel that my wife should only bother herself with the really important things in life such as our children and their welfare.

Stephen - Well we believe that a husband and wife should know everything about each other, don’t we Joan. Well Joan does (last part said bitterly)

Hester - sigh disapprovingly

Joan - Yes dear. Anyway, Alexander I was hoping for your professional opinion on something.

Alexander - Anything I can do to help.

Joan - Stephen and I are trying to set up an account with the bank of London to save up for our girls, when they venture off, but they don’t seem to have anything suitable. As you are in the banking business, can you offer us any advice?

Alexander - My wife and I have a trust fund for our boys years ago, there is money put away in case they were ever to have children. I’m surprised you only just thought of it.

Stephen - Really, is it very good?

Joan - Very good (pause) for the grandchildren.

Hester - Yes actually. It is set up in the local bank down the road, you know the one on Bridge Street.

Joan - Oh, I was under the impression that that bank was not very reliable.

Hester - No, they are very reliable and they have fabulous interest rates as it happens.

Joan - Stephen, I think we should have a look at that, I think it could be beneficial for our girls.

Stephen - Yes I agree, Alexander, do you think I could get the details for me?

(cut to the other conversation)

Evelyn - So Oliver, (go and sit on Oliver’s lap) how would you like to come over to my estate on the edge of town, it is rather large you know, but with only one bedroom so I’m afraid we would have to share.

Grace - I’m afraid Miss Clark that Mr Turner is currently involved with my sister.

Evelyn - Oh well, other arrangements will have to be made then.

Oliver - Grace, I must insist for the umpteenth time that you call me Oliver and as for you Evelyn, I have to agree with Grace. (wriggle from under Evelyn) I am involved with Mary-Jane so there is no question of me staying in your abode alone with yourself, as you can see problems may occur.

Evelyn - Oh, well in that case there really is no point in us seeing each other again.

Oliver - Please don’t be that way, we may still remain friends, but that is all we may be.