Just then the door to our quarters slid open and in walked Admiral Jones, and I felt my stomach drop. I knew he was here for me. All the other commanders seemed to melt away as quietly as possible. I stood up and followed him without a word being spoken. My mind instantly filled with thoughts of being reassigned or sent home dishonorably. I was a wreck by the time we reached his office. We sat down and he watched me for a second before he started laughing uncontrollably.

I tried to understand what was going on and why he was laughing. Maybe the stress of his job had caused him to lose his sanity. When he finally calmed down enough to talk, he said, "You should see the look on your face." He then started laughing again. The initial shock had worn off and I was starting to get annoyed. Anger started to replace fear. It must have been apparent on my face because he did his best to compose himself.

When it looked like he had calmed down I said, "What is going on sir, and why are you acting like a crazy person?"

"This job comes with an extreme amount of stress," he replied. "Laughter is my way of dealing with it."

"I've never seen you smile, let alone laugh sir," I shot back.

"That's because I was acting as your commanding officer, so that is who I became," he explained. "Truth be told, I hate being so serious all the time. It takes a great deal of self-control not to laugh at some of the stupid things that are done around here." Admiral Jones stood up and walked over to me and handed me a tablet. "This is your assignment. I wanted to give it to you in person."

If I was confused before, I was completely baffled now. On the tablet was a picture of the Unity. There was page after page of detailed information regarding the capitol class ship. Several pages into the document had a list of the crew assigned to the ship. Admiral Jones was listed as the ship's commanding officer and fleet admiral. The next name down was mine. I was listed as the ship's executive officer as well and Vice Admiral of the fleet. It took a minute for my brain to process what I was reading.

When it finally sunk in, I looked up at Admiral Jones, expecting it to be another joke. I could hardly contain my excitement. He just looked at me and smiled. I read it again. "Why does it have both of us listed with fleet and ship assignments?" I asked.

"We're in a little bit of a tricky situation right now. After the Unity and her assigned ships are completed, they will begin construction on other ships as well, so a fleet admiral is necessary. You are also to young and inexperienced to take command of the Unity, so I will be in command of the ship until you are ready to take over. Once that happens, I'll hand that responsibility over to you and focus on the rest of the fleet. At that time, a new vice admiral will be chosen to fill that slot. You are in it now as it also allows for a proper chain of command in my absence," he replied. "Your duties begin tomorrow. You will assist me in training the rest of the fleet, as well as the crew of the Unity. I have also assigned you private living quarters next to mine. It will be a similar layout with an office and living quarters attached."

He gave me a moment to digest what I had just learned. He looked me in the eyes and said, "When the Council announced the creation of the Battle Fleet, they were attempting to do more than create an armed force. I'm sure you've noticed the average recruit is quite young. Have you ever wondered why?" I shook my head no. "Despite peace, the world is still in a precarious state. Peace balances on a knife's edge. It is a powder keg, just waiting for a spark to ignite old hatreds. Most of what you see in the media is propaganda. As much work is being put forth to ensure peace, just as much work is being done to destroy it. Many would be happy to see the Alliance dissolved and the Council done away with. I'm not just talking about Chaos. There are members of the Council that want things to back to the way they were before the war. One of the primary objectives for this fleet is to guarantee that another war doesn't break out."

"So how does recruiting a bunch of teenagers and young adults help?" I asked. "Surely there are more experienced veterans who have combat experience from the Great War who would be better suited for this job."

"That may be," He replied. "There are many that could bring decades of combat experience. What they would bring in addition to their skill are old prejudices. Young people are more easily influenced. It is easier for the younger generation to adapt and cope with new situations. Take you and Edgar, for example. You two were at each other's throats at first. Does that animosity still exist?"

"I guess not," I answered thoughtfully.

Admiral Jones continued, "Many people you have become friends with would be considered enemies to your neighbors on Earth. We're trying to break the cycle of past hatreds and feuds. We need you to be the future of mankind. I fear if the Unity fails, the world will fall so far into chaos, we will never recover. You have a long day ahead of you tomorrow. Gather your personal effects and move in tonight. Get some sleep. We have a long five months ahead of us."

My body was on autopilot. I walked through the doors of the commander's barracks without really registering where I was. My mind felt numb as it struggled to comprehend what had just transpired. The other commanders swarmed around me, asking questions, but I didn't hear any of them. I sat at my desk and stared at the tablet in my hands, lost in my thoughts. The other started asking if I had lost it, seeing how I was staring at a blank screen. I slowly drifted out of the fog and came back to reality.

I quickly came back to the world of the living when I felt a sharp pain on my face. It felt like somebody had slapped me. "What the heck was that for?" I asked. I was shocked to see I was surrounded by my fellow commanders in our barracks. I couldn't recall the trip back. Everyone seemed relieved that I had come out of my daze.

"Just a little Russian wake up," Sofya said.

"Thanks," I said rubbing my cheek.

"Anytime," she replied with a sweet smile. "So, are you going to tell us what is going on?"

"I'm the XO of the Unity," I said, still not believing what I was saying.

"Funny," said Edgar. "Maybe they finally came to their senses and realized what a turd you are and are shipping you back." He smiled proudly at his insult.

"Believe what you will," I said with a sigh. "Right now, I need to pack and get to my new private quarters before the lights go out."

My last statement seemed to add validity to my claims. Shock quickly gave way to excitement as I packed. I could tell they were struggling with the idea as much as I was. Once my bag was packed, I headed out. The next five months were going to be interesting.