Chapter VIII: An Important Visit

I... can't feel anything.

It's so c-cold...

"HELP ME!"

(Sᴜᴄʀᴏsᴇ's ᴘᴏᴠ)______________________________

Sucrose awoke from her nightmare drenched in cold sweat. Her eyes darted across the room. Upon realizing it was unfamiliar, her breathing grew rapid and shallow. She fought to get up, but she was too weak, and in the process she tore one of her stitches.

"AGGGHHH!" Writhing in agony she lay back down. She knew she was on her way out as an angel began speaking to her.

"Sucrose! I'm so glad you're finally awake!"

Wait... She knew that face. She wasn't dying after all.

Hot wet tears of joy slid down Sucrose's face. "Oh, M-Miss Barbara! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I don't know how I'll ever repay you, you saved my life!"

Barbara smiled weakly. "Actually, you should thank Timaeus. He was the one who found you laying in the snow."

The healer sat on the bed beside Sucrose. "If you don't mind, I need to change your bandages now."

Sucrose nodded and Barbara set to work straightaway. "Wow, this must've been some hilichurl attack!" She paused and raised an eyebrow suspiciously. "Was this caused by a hilichurl?"

The greenette's eyes bore into the hardwood floor. "I'm afraid that's from the sword of Mondstadt's beloved head alchemist."

"But Timaeus told us you mentioned something about a hilichurl in your delirium?"

Sucrose scoffed. "And you believed him?"

"Not entirely," Barbara replied after a moment's pause. With a fresh bandage applied to the wound, she stood up. "I would recommend you stay here for a week or so. Your injuries require—"

Sucrose crawled out of bed, carefully this time. "My injuries are of no importance. I... I must speak with the Knights."

"Umm, I don't think that's a good idea. You should really be resting, and Jean's already pretty overworked—"

The biochemist stared down Barbara intensely. "Albedo... is a danger to himself and others. I'm not... exactly... sure what spurred him on, but... he must be taken care off."

She walked to the entrance doors, her steps slightly uneven. As she approached them, she stopped briefly and asked a final question.

"Have you seen Y/N recently?"

"Nope. Have you, Rosaria?"

Sister Rosaria, who hadn't been paying attention to anything until now, shook her head absentmindedly.

"Thank you." Sucrose smiled sweetly before exiting the church. Once the two were certain she was out of earshot, they conversed amongst each other.

"Well, I'm not surprised. Albedo has always been quite an interesting character, if you ask me." Rosaria unsheathed her dagger and examined it.

"Tell me about it! He hardly ever comes to town, and when he does he hardly bothers with anyone!"

Without hesitating Rosaria scurried after Sucrose. Whatever her ultimate plan was, the 'nun' felt it was her responsibility to make sure no one else got hurt.

She also needed another excuse to get away from church duties.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Sucrose somehow found herself sitting before the Acting Grand Master, Jean Gunnhildr

Sucrose somehow found herself sitting before the Acting Grand Master, Jean Gunnhildr. She was hardly able to tell Lisa why she had come, and now she had to voice her claim before the most powerful woman in Mondstadt? It was situations like these where she wished she was more socially adept.

"H-hi," she finally managed to get out. Jean smiled, the way parents do when children begin talking on their own. "There's no need to be stressed. Just tell me your problem, and I'll see if I can help."

The greenette's mouth grew dry. How was she going to word this? Her eyes flitted across the room, looking everywhere but Jean's face. Her fingers fidgeted at her sides uncontrollably.

"I... would just l-like you... to find out... where Y/N is. I can't... No one has seen her... In a while...Jean rubbed circles into her temples. At this, Sucrose worried she had done something to upset her. She had observed all the paperwork and knew she was busy... Oh, why did she think this was a good idea?

She was just ready to leave when the blonde spoke up again. "I'll get one of the Knights to take a look when I get a chance." Sucrose nodded hurriedly, eager to leave the stuffy air of the office.

As Sucrose closed the door, she heard Jean rummaging around and straightening files. She may come off as strict, but she meant well. She should take some time off for herself, though...

Feeling as light as a crisp breeze, Sucrose dashed out of the building. I'm glad that's taken care of. Now... to rebuild myself a laboratory!