Chapter II: Experiment

"So what are we doing again?" You asked Sucrose, your eyes fixated on her notes. Her handwriting was flowy and bouncy, kind of like her easygoing attitude. It was calming to read, all the curves and lines etched perfectly onto the paper.

Sucrose pushed her spectacles up the bridge of her nose with two fingers. "There's a strange substance Albedo's been working on, but the chemical structure confuses me."

You picked up on the uneasiness in her voice. Does Albedo know his assistant is snooping on his work? The bio alchemist seemed to sense your suspicions and turned away from you. Something's going on, the Sucrose I know wouldn't be like this, especially towards her mentor.

"So? Isn't there lots of stuff he works on on his own?"

Sucrose, still with her back to you, laughed nervously. "Yes, but this particular one is... Interesting. I'd get on chemical level, but I feel that would be too complex for you."

You didn't like this at all. Sucrose's behavior worried you immensely. You had a weird feeling she was leaving something crucial out, but why bother asking? The poor girl was already stressed enough, albeit being for dubious reasons.

"Where do I come in?"

"W-well, let's just say it's for a side experiment."

You decided not to persist in this topic. Sucrose seemed relieved by this and finally faced you. "Let's carry on now."

She guided you to the opposite corner of the room, where there were two beakers and a test tube sitting on an old wooden table

She guided you to the opposite corner of the room, where there were two beakers and a test tube sitting on an old wooden table. One beaker held a pink liquid, the other a deep blue one. The test tube contained something that looked exactly like cinnamon.

With shaky hands Sucrose uncorked the test tube. "If I empty this tube into the blue liquid and it turns pink, my hypothesis will be correct."

You began to grow impatient. "And? So what?"

Sucrose's eyes glared at you from over her spectacles. For the first time ever, her expression was one of utmost seriousness.

"If I am correct, you must leave Mondstadt for good. And avoid Albedo. At all costs. Don't look for me. I'll probably be long gone."

You watched her for a few moments. Was being serious! Did she actually think the color of a chemical would influence her to move away from Mondstadt? You waited for an easy smile, a glimmer in her eyes, anything, but now she was concentrating on the experiment.

You were extremely worried about Sucrose's mental health. Perhaps she was exposed to something on the job. "Yeah, um... I'm just going to go take a breather."

Without waiting for a response, you backed out of the room and entered the living quarters, aka where you were before the experiment began. You curled up into a ball in front of the fireplace. You hoped your concerns would be proven false. Maybe this was all just a bad dream, and you'd wake up any second now?

You heard speech from the lab. Oh, is Sucrose done already? Well, she was just checking for a color change-wait, who the Abyss is she talking to?

You stealthily slinked next to the doorway. You heard footsteps, which most likely belonged to Albedo, rounding Sucrose's work desk. They spend so much time together isolated from others... How are they not a thing?

"Sucrose, is this your latest project? Scribbling over important notes?" His voice was even but you felt like it still carried some bite somehow.

"W-well, sir, you always do tell me to ex-expand my creative abilities."

Albedo chuckled softly. "Tell me, do you happen to know where Y/N is?"

For some reason, your blood ran cold. You didn't feel any draft, so why was it? Albedo had to be a nice guy, Sucrose was smart like him and you would trust her with your life it ever came down to it.

"I-I don't know..."

The cabin went silent, as though someone stuffed earplugs in your ears without you knowing.

The next second you heard an advance. The desk fell over and glass shattered. You heard Sucrose squeal and a quick step forward.

"And what is this, huh? Meddling with my plans? I thought I could trust you, Sucrose, I really did... I wish it didn't have to come to this..."

"And it d-doesn't!! Have to come down to 'th-this,' I mean. I swear, I'll keep quiet, I won't tell a-AAAH!"

Sucrose's sudden scream sounded like one of pain, not fear. You were scared now. Your heart raced, you could hear it drumming hard in your ears. You tried to run, but your legs locked.

Her earlier words echoed in your head. "Leave Mondstadt for good. And avoid Albedo. At all costs."

He's just angry, he's not crazy, just as angry as I'd be if someone found my notes...

More screams erupted from the lab. If you couldn't bring yourself to run, you'd have to hide.