9 Act: Mistakes

Wrath and I wander around for a few moments, searching for a place to spend the night. Finally, we settled on a small inn on the corner of a side street. Walking in, there isn't anything to shoot home about. The main lobby is fairly empty, except for one or two patrons, minding their business. Behind the front desk, a small, frail-looking woman sits doing a bit of work out of sight.

As we walk in, she raises her head, the pits under her eyes glaring back at us, despite the weak smile on her face.

"Welcome to the inn. How might I assist you?" She says weakly. Wrath walks up, pulls a large sack from his waist, and places it on the counter with the familiar clank of coins. He starts to talk business with the woman. I tune them out as I look around the inn. The desk sits underneath the balcony on the second floor. The first floor appears to have few rooms and more space for parties to congregate.

I glance over at the woman, who's frail arms furiously write on the piece of paper before her. After a moment, she lets up on the pen, and walks from behind the desk, gesturing for us to follow. She takes us upstairs and down the hallway, before coming up on two doors sitting next to each other. "One room paired with adjacent slave quarters, just as requested." She says as she opens one of the doors and gestures for Wrath to step in. As he does, she slips her hands to his back and swipes something from him. I don't quite see what it is before she trucks it away, and steps away from the door. "Please contact me if you need anything else." She says with a smile, before disappearing.

I walk into the room, where Wrath has already thrown himself onto the bed. Without looking up, he tells me that I am to wait next door until called upon. I bow my head and make for the room, not wanting to upset him.

The room was crappy, to say the least. There was only one window which was set high up on the wall. There was only one bed that looked like it hadn't been used in years; A single desk with a quill and paper. Other than that, the room was bare, cold, and haunting.

I collapse on the bed with a flurry of dust and close my eyes, hoping to slip into sleep.

Suddenly the door opens, and I jerk from the bed to see Sky standing there with a small bit of food tucked under her arm. "Hey, sleepy head. Enjoy your nap?" She asks. It was only then that I realized that I had fallen asleep, and It was now nearly sunset. Sky walks over to the bed, and hands me the food she had unwrapped food. A piece of bread, and a small sample of meat.

I wolf it all down, not realizing how hungry I was.

"Alright. Im gonna sleep. Do you need anything?" Sky asks. I shake my head no as she flops next to me on the bed, passing out as soon as her head hits the pillow. Stead of falling back asleep, I sit at the edge of the bed, thinking about all that's happened to me this past week. What's going to happen to me? What is going to happen once these people find out, that I am the princess that they were hired to kill? I shake the nasty thoughts from my head. What I needed now were answers. But I wouldn't get those answers unless I was in good graces with Wrath. But how?

*Thunk*

My thoughts are interrupted by a loud noise outside. I rush to the window pulling myself into the small alcove. There, I notice the host lady walking outside. She glances around frantically, hiding something under her coat.

"That's it," I whisper to myself.

All I had to do was steal back what was stolen. Then I would be in good graces with Wrath. I glance around the room, grabbing at some small cloth at the foot of the bed. I then move to the desk, taking the inkwell. Silently dragging the desk over to the window, I climb up, using the inkwell to break a hole in the glass, then using the rag to shield my hand while I clear away the rest of the glass. I slip out the window, landing silently on the ground below. I move in the direction where the woman is headed. Although I am a few paces behind her, her footprints are easy to track. I make a mental note of all the turns.

After a few moments, I stop behind a corner, as I hear voices up ahead. I can't make out the conversation, but I can tell that one of them is the woman from before. I suddenly look up, thinking up a new plan.

In three quick movements, I clamber up the side of the building and move across the roof, so I can see and hear the people talking.

One of them is the same woman from before. The other two there strike me in a way. One of them is a small, bug-eyed man, built strong and stocky. The other man is huge, his head almost reaching the tops of the buildings. His body is round, with ungodly small legs. His arms are as massive as his body, with his right hand looking as if it had been plunged in molten iron. Up to his wrist, his fist is a mess of unpolished, dented iron. Past his wrist, are dozens of scars and burns. A long white beard covers his face and chest.

In his other hand, the man holds a small stone cube, carved to look like an ancient temple.

"This can't be all you've brought. This is worthless." He says, his voice surprisingly high-pitched despite his age and size.

"B..but it can't be. The man I stole it from, he.." The woman starts before she is cut off. "I hate to say, but you've stolen a useless trinket!" The man shouts.

I lean forward too far, causing one of the clay shingles atop the roof, to break loose and fall to the ground. I duck back just as I feel all eyes shoot in my direction. Well, it's now or never, I think to myself, as I leap from the roof, landing in the palm of the man's hand and grabbing the stone piece, and leaping back out. I land beside the woman, who looks shocked at my arrival.

"Well, if it's so useless, I think I'll take it back then," I say with a smile, before turning to make a run for it, before I am stopped dead in my tracks, as three armed soldiers appear. I turn, as the big man behind me chuckles. "Did you think you could steal from me, girl? I am the great Iron Fist Din Chow." He bellows out. "And no one steals from me. Only for me!" He shouts as he rushes towards me at a speed I didn't think was possible. He raises his Iron fist, ready to deliver a punch that will surely kill me. I move to dodge, but my feet remain planted. My knees lock, and my arms go stiff. I try again, but still, nothing.

"This will teach you, stupid girl!" Din Chow shouts as his fist careens towards me. All I can do is close my eyes and accept my fate. All I can think is how I failed.

--------------

Author: Hi, I realize that four of the parts I had made were not published which was my fault! So sorry lovely! But I hope to get back to uploading some of my work again!

Thanks, Frooki3 ('')