Awake to Puzzlement

A/N: I just wanted to let everyone know that the next update will be the final two chapters of the story. There is the epilogue as well. Also, thank you so much for your support of this story; I greatly appreciate it! I've had a lot of fun writing it, and I hope that you enjoy the chapters to come. Have a good evening/afternoon/morning ^-^! 

Sore. Completely sore by her left shoulder. Also groggy. Like a heavy weight was on her, and she had been asleep for far too long. She heard beeping to the right of her, and she felt that she was lying on something. It wasn't hard like tile; it was softer. Something was over her too. Fabric. The exposed skin on her arms and legs felt it. Her fingers felt it too, but it was under her. A bed? There was something cushiony behind her head. Not super firm. Rather soft, but a little too much so like it had been used many times before.

A groan escaped her, and she opened her eyes only to wince at the light that greeted them. She proceeded to close her eyes and moan out of discomfort from the movement. Slowly, she opened her eyes again. The light in the room was a dim blue, but it felt so much brighter due to the lack of light she had seen for awhile. In a few more seconds, she recognized that it came from a floor lamp off to her left.

As her eyes adjusted more, she saw that she was indeed on a bed. Medium blue sheets covered her, and she saw a wooden door across from her and to her left. The walls were an off-white color. When she looked to her right, she saw medium blue curtains closed over what she presumed was a window. There was wooden armoire near the window. Closer to the bed was a machine monitoring her vitals, and she had an IV in her as well.

Seeing all of the wires, she began to remember what happened. Her head remained against what she assumed was a pillow, and her hands lay by her sides. There was a blue chair across from the bed, but there was no one sitting on it, so she was left to her own thoughts. The memories came back, and the machine beeped a bit louder.

Lee! He had to be there still. He wasn't in the room with her, which wasn't surprising given his state of living, but what had happened to him?! Was he still at the café? What about Anita? The staff? Even those two a**holes? All the questions seemed to storm her mind at once, and her heartbeat picked up. The beeping grew faster, and she began to sit up before she stopped and lied back down. D*mn. Her shoulder was sore. She knew why, but she wanted to check on everything.

Thankfully, she survived what she could only guess was a serious wound, but there were so many uncertainties. Before she could attempt to sit up again, the door opened and in rushed a nurse. Her green optics did a quick scan over her before she sighed in relief and smiled. Gently, she placed a hand on (f/n)'s right shoulder. "It's okay. You're in Duskriver General Hospital." She wore a reassuring smile. "But, you need to take it easy. Your family has been contacted, and they're on their way. They'll be here in several hours."

"B-but-"

Cutting her off, the nurse shook her head and removed her hand. "I know you have questions, and they'll be answered. I can answer some, and when you're ready, there are some detectives here to question you about what happened also." Steadily, (f/n) nodded, and she tried to calm herself down. She wished that she could ask about Lee, but she knew that would raise other concerns, so she forced herself to remain quiet about him. "First, just let me do my review. Then, you can ask."

Again, (f/n) nodded, and she concentrated on the nurse to help keep her thoughts from racing. Her name tag read June. She had bright green eyes and shoulder-length brown curls. June was wearing light pink scrubs.