Her eyes read the last message over and over again, until each letter was forever engraved in the hypothalamus of her brain, where no one could reach it, no one could take it from her— her treasures.

I didn't have a boyfriend. I mean, when your parents drop you off at the orphanage door from day one, you grow up with the idea that you're not lovable. Let's not forget the trust issues. (Also, for the record, I was sure I'm not gay somehow. Since I preferred to look at basketball players' legs and buttocks than cheerleaders' asses.)

It seems that in the midst of Big Bang and all the other bullshit, a glitch happened, because Satoru broke my curse and became the first person to gain my trust with his warm friendship. But unfortunately, as someone who had been deprived of love her whole life, I added extra meanings to his actions, to his words... I told myself that if I kept these sweet dreams to myself, they wouldn't hurt anyone. How was a high school girl supposed to know that it would bite her own ass in the end?

Y/N's smile got more prominent, and the butterflies started floating in her stomach as her fingers started typing.

Smiley: You're a walking nut, Satoru!

Smiley: Meet you out front at the basketball court.

Smiley: Please, just take a shower! You stink after matches!

After pushing the send button, she lazily sat on the bench and started scrolling through her social media accounts to kill time.

It is a fact that no matter how much a person tries to be invisible, in the end, their presence will become a thorn in the eye of another. Y/N was no exception when it was a matter of bad luck.

"She is like the gum beneath Satoru's shoe!"

Y/N's eyes widened, but they kept staring at the phone. Were they talking about her?

"I can't even tell what he sees in her! Does he have no eyes? How he can't see a good-looking girl like me!"

She knew the owner of the voice, the president of the Mean Girls community.

"That's got to be an orphan thing. Otherwise, there's no reason for a basketball player like him to be friends with a normal girl like her!"

She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. All she had to do was count back 10 to 1, and everything would be sorted out. Otherwise, she would count backward from 15, 20, 25, 30, and even 100.

She sighed.

Ten

She had well learned these rituals of suppressing anger by practice and repetition, for this was not the first time she had been exposed to such words.

Nine

Satoru becoming one of the school's popular basketball players was the starting point of the girls' backbites.

Eight

Puberty was kind to him, turning him from a white-haired weirdo into a prince fucking charming who set these hot to trot girls' loins on fire.

Seven

She couldn't care less about them.

Six

Where were they when no one wanted to eat with him at the same table?

Five

Were they around when that little boy jolted awake drenched in sweats?

Four

Did they know how to whisper "I'm here, all is well, Satoru" in his ear to make his nightmares disappear?