-Chapter Two-

Mulai dari awal

"Which brings us to the three stages of demonic activity." Ed cut in, not wanting anymore questions for Dalton. The audience seemed to understand as no one else raised their hands, focusing on the chalkboard instead. "Infestation, oppression, and possession." Ed pointed to each of the words that tiered each other on the board.

"Now, infestation: that's the whispering, the footsteps, the feeling of another presence, which ultimately grows into oppression, the second stage." Dalton explained. He didn't let the previous conversation bother him because he had talked about it before.

"Now this is where the victim, and it's usually the one who's the most psychologically vulnerable, is targeted specifically by an external force." Ed said, carrying on the topic. "Breaks the victim down. Crushes their will. And, once in a weakened state, leads them to the third and final stage: possession."

<><><><>

Dalton was passing a few bags to Ed, who put them in the car when Drew walked up with a woman. "Hey, Dalton? There's someone here that would like to talk to you." Drew said. Lorraine thanked him and he walked off.

"Hello. How can I help you?" Dalton smiled at her. She looked terrified and he hoped his charm would belay her uneasiness.

"There's something horrible happening in my house. Could you come and take a look?" She asked them. Lorraine looked back at Dalton and Ed, as the woman's gaze set on them.

Before Dalton could respond Ed did instead, "You know, uh, it's gettin' kinda late. We really need to be heading to our family."

"No, you don't understand." She said, her face emitting nothing but fear.

"But we do. There's usually some sort of rational explanation—" Dalton said as kindly as he could but the woman cut him off.

"I have five daughters who are scared to death. I'm so afraid this thing wants to hurt us." She said, before turning to Lorraine and looking for an understanding. "You have a daughter. Wouldn't you do anything you could to protect her? Please. Please can you come take a look?" She begged. Ed sighed annoyedly, Dalton looked at her with an unsure expression, while Lorraine nodded in understanding.

"Of course we will." Lorraine said, and the women sighed in relief.

<><><><>

Dalton found himself in the backseat of Ed and Lorraine's car, holding a compass as Ed drove and Lorraine used a map. "Alright, Dalton. Help me out here, which way is North?" Ed asked.

"Uh...that way." Dalton pointed to the left as he looked down at the compass, "No, no wait! That way." He repeated, pointing to the right. Ed and Lorraine chuckled and Dalton quietly mumbled, "Sorry."

A few minutes later they ended up pulling into a long driveway, arriving at the ominous looking house. "Please be real, please be real." Dalton mumbled to himself, keeping his eyes on the house as he got out of the car.

"We're supposed to not want that, Dalton." Lorraine chuckled, patting his shoulder as they walked to the front door.

"What's wrong with wanting a real case every now and then?" Dalton shrugged as Ed knocked on the door.

The woman from before opened the door with the most forced smile Dalton had ever seen, she was obviously scared to be in the house. "Hello." She greeted and Lorraine was the one to respond. "Thanks for coming."