-Chapter Two-

The Conjuring
Part One—Chapter Two

"Fear is defined as a feeling of agitation of anxiety caused by the presence or imminence of danger. Whether it's a ghost, a spirit or an entity, they all feed on it. Take our close friend Dalton here." Ed started at another one of their lectures, gesturing to the projection that showed a younger Dalton rocking back and forth in a chair, his eyes completely white and glazed over as blood dripped from the corners.

Dalton stared at his younger self with guilt and fear, watching himself struggle in the chair as Lorraine wiped sweat from his face with a towel.

"Now, Dalton is one of the best paranormal investigators I've known. But that gave no explanation to how he spoke clear Latin backwards. A dark spirit made its home in my close friend, we didn't leave until it was gone." Ed said hesitantly, glancing at Dalton who just stared at the projection. Both Ed and Lorraine knew how much it affected him and they offered to let him pass this lecture but he refused, wanting to be there.

Lorraine put a hand on his shoulder as she spoke, "Now, if you look into his eyes, you can see him tearing blood." As Lorraine said this everyone looked at the projection, watching the younger Dalton look up at the ceiling as blood fell down his cheeks, Lorraine and Ed trying their best to keep him sitting up.

Lorraine looked over at Dalton before hesitantly continuing, "And like that, an upside-down cross started to appear from within his body." The projection showed the younger Dalton once again, but this time he clawed at his shirt. Ripping it a bit as he pulled it up, showing the raised form of an upside-down cross on the skin above his heart. The audience gasped, looking at Dalton with curiosity and pity.

Ed ended it there, not wanting to go any farther as he knew the toll it took on both Dalton and Lorraine. "All right, Drew. You can hit the lights." Ed said and the lights came on, hands shot up throughout the room and the Warrens sighed, knowing who the questions would be directed at. But Dalton stepped forward confidently, ready to answer any questions even if they were hard.

"Dalton, what did it feel like to be possessed?" A girl asked and everyone stared at him like their souls depended on it.

"Well, you could say it wasn't my first rodeo." Dalton joked, trying to lighten the mood. "But, uh, it felt like I wasn't in my own body. Like I was in the room but only spectating. I didn't have any control over the words that came out of my mouth or any of my actions. All I know is that the demon that had control over me didn't plan on letting me go. If it weren't for Ed and Lorraine...I would've died in that farmhouse."

Dalton finished and smiled weakly at Ed and Lorraine, who smiled back softly. Another person in the audience raised their hand, "Did you personally perform the exorcism on Dalton?" She asked Ed.

"No, I'm not authorized. But I've assisted on many. See, an exorcism can be very dangerous, not only for the victim, but for anyone in the room." Ed answered, glad that he was asked the question and not Dalton.

"So, Dalton, what happened to you after?" The girl asked.

"Well, Ed and the priest succeeded in the exorcism. I was fine a week later, but still got weird feelings. I, uh, devoted my life to the paranormal awhile ago, and every case seems to attach a string that follows me everywhere. There is no hiding or running away...because it's a part of me now." Dalton finished, not noticing the looks Ed and Lorraine gave each other out of worry.