"I Need Time" - Huntlow Oneshot

(A/N: Btw, the first part took place like a week or two before the Day of Unity- Also spoiler warning-)

Ship - Huntlow
AU - Canon
Type - Fluff
Side ships? - Implied Willamity

---------

"Captain, I love you."

The rushed words were a lot for Willow to take in, especially when they came from a certain flustered blonde. Hunter exhaled a breathe he seemed to have been holding in after he sputtered the words, a small whistle sounding when he did due to his tooth gap.

Willow found herself staring at the floor as Hunter watched intently for a response, though slowly he realized he wasn't getting one. This...This was not the reaction he was hoping for... Had he messed everything up? Perhaps he never should've said anything in the first place-

Goddamnit Hunter, now she probably hates you- No! No, the Captain would never hate him...Then again, from the looks of it, it looks like he disappointed her, or just made a huge mistake.

Searching for any words to say, he quickly straightened up, looking away from Willow. "I-I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said that, especially given the situation we're in. I shouldn't have let my emotions get in the way of things, please forgive me-"

"What, no, Hunter, you're fine! I just...don't know how to respond to that," Willow said, sitting up and reaching to patting Hunter's shoulder briefly, before shrinking back. She pulled her arm back close to her chest as she started rubbing circles on her own arm in hope it would help her think clearer. After a confession like that, what was she supposed to say? 'Thank you'? 'No thank you'? 'Why?'-

Everything was so confusing.

Willow knew for awhile that Hunter at least cared or looked up to her, specifically because of the way he talked to her, him calling her 'Captain' and all. And she will admit, she cared an awful lot about him too. He took her seriously, he was always trying to be there for her and had her back, he was able to help Gus- He was a great guy.

But she had no idea that his idolization had shifted into something like this- Not that she was upset by it or anything, she just didn't see it coming. Should she have seen this coming? Did she feel the same? Ugh, this was all so confusing!

She had only had to deal with a crush once, and back then, it was way easier to handle since they just kids and it basically remained a childish puppy love type thing, but now? Now when she finally understood the full extent of what love like this was like? It was a lot more difficult.

"Look, Hunter, I've never dealt with this before... Hell, up until the past year, nobody would really talk to me, not to mention admit to-...Loving me- Nobody has really liked me like this before-"

"But why not?! You're amazing, who wouldn't like you?" Hunter said, turning around immediately looking over to her, trying to reassure her. Willow felt her cheeks go a little red at that.

Hunter has always done stuff like that, always defended her, and made sure she felt cared about, even when she was just bringing up stuff from the past, or when she wasn't even in major danger or even actually doubting herself, he always made sure she knew her worth. Usually, she thought that was just him being supportive, but now that she knew the thought that went behind it, it made it appear in a different light now..

"Well- I'm just not used to it- I guess the only time I've ever actually had or ever encountered this was-...Well, it was a very long time ago, back when I was really young and it sorta stayed as just a mutual crush, and that person ended up leaving a little bit afterwards anyway-" Willow started.

"But I won't do that, I won't leave you like that, I swear, I-" Hunter stopped himself again. "...I'm sorry, I'll stop, I shouldn't pressure you into saying or doing anything you don't want to do if you don't reciprocate the feelings."

Willow sighed, shaking her head. "No, Hunter, I just- This isn't me rejecting you...But it also isn't me saying I love you back, or me saying I want to try going out or anything, I just need some time to think." She turned to him then, shifting to actually face him on the bench they were sitting on. "I swear, I will give you an answer at one point, so please, be patient with me?"

Hunter paused, until he finally nodded, his blonde hair shifting in the wind, as Flapjack nudged his cheek from his shoulder, urging him to say something.

"I..understand, Captain."

Looking up at her, he tried to give her an awkward smile, only to find it difficult to meet her eyes, but when she gave him a bright understanding smile back, he felt his heart warm up. Maybe, he could just wait. As long as she knew his feelings, and as long as he's still able to stay by her side, whether it was as a friend or more, he would be content. She was enough, he was willing to wait for an answer.

---------

As the days past, Willow began to notice the things Hunter did more often. The way that he always made sure none of their enemies even got close enough to get to her, or the the times when she got close to him or hugged him that his face would flush, or when he immediately would move to shield her when things went wrong-

She also noticed what she did more. The way she immediately wanted to get Hunter back after she thought he was captured, or when she always ended up being the one to save him when he was in trouble. Or when she always went to Hunter first to make sure he was okay after battles.

And with each of these passing moments, she started to realize how she had began to treasure their relationship.

While Hunter's confession hadn't made her suddenly have feelings for him, it helped her open her eyes more to both his emotions, and her own. If he didn't say anything, she probably would have continued to ignore her feelings, given their situation, but now that he did, it was becoming harder and harder to ignore...

---------

Part two should be out :>