002

THE WEIRDO ON MAPLE STREET

THUNDER CONTINUES CRASHING and rain keeps pouring as Mike and the rest of the party stand in his basement, looking curiously at the strange girl they found in the woods.

"Is there a number we can call for your parents?" Mike asks the girl, who looks up at him with a confused and terrified look on her face.

"Where's your hair?" Dustin questions, making the girl look over to him now, "Do you have cancer?"

"Did you run away?" Lucas asks, causing the girl to look over at him now, the look of terror and confusion not leaving her face and no sign of her answering any questions.

"Are you in some kind of trouble?" Melanie asks in a soft, smooth tone of voice, trying not to frighten the girl. Although, the boys keep on interrogating the girl.

"Is that blood?" Lucas questions, reaching to feel her shirt and see if it is actually blood. Melanie and Mike slap Lucas's hand away at the same time, hitting each others hands in the process.

"You're freaking her out!" Mike shouts.

"She's freaking me out!" Lucas defends.

"I bet she's deaf." Dustin suggests, then proceeds to clap his hands in front of her face. She flinches back at the noise, and Melanie rolls her eyes. "Not deaf." Dustin adds.

"Alright, that's enough, all right?" Mike scolds, "She's just scared and cold."

Thunder strikes once again as Mike turns around and rushes to his laundry basket, pulling out some clothes to give to the girl.

Thunder crashes closer to the house, causing the girl to flinch and close her eyes, terrified of the noise. Lucas and Dustin look at her weirdly and Melanie gives her a sympathetic look.

Mike comes back and holds the clothes out for the girl to take, "Here, these are clean. Okay?"

She takes the clothes, using them to first wipe the rain off her face. She then stands up and starts to undress in front of the group when everybody starts talking over each other to stop her. Mike, Lucas, and Dustin turn around, freaked out that she just tried to change in front of them.

"See over there?" Melanie cautiously puts her arm on the girls shoulder and points at the bathroom, "That's the bathroom. Privacy. Get it?"

The girl grabs the clothes and walks towards the bathroom, Mike following close behind.

When the girl walks in, Mike tries to shut the door, but the girl pulls it open.

"You don't want it closed?" Mike asks.

"No." The girl responds, taking her hand off the door.

"Oh, so you can speak." Mike says, taking a hold of the door again, "Okay, well...how about we just keep the door..." Mike pulls the door slightly closed, leaving about 3 inches of room on the door open, "Just like this. Is that better?"

"Yes."

Mike nods at the girl, giving her a small smile before walking away to where the rest of the party is standing, leaving the girl to change.

"This is mental." Dustin declares.

"At least she can talk." Mike mentions.

"She said 'No' and 'Yes'. Your three year old sister says more." Lucas argues.

"She tried to get naked." Dustin adds.

"There's something seriously wrong with her." Lucas comments, "Like, wrong in the head."