𝟎𝟎𝟏. the beginning

Start from the beginning

"Come on, Shepherd. Let's get you home," Joanna said, hugging his waist.

And with her so close to him, Derek thought maybe he would be able to survive this after all. "You got it sunshine."

⋆⋅☆⋅⋆

THE RIDE TO Joanna's and Christopher's place was quiet, with no one daring to ask each other anything. Derek was simply too tired to chit-chat, and Joanna and Christopher kept having a silent conversation through the review mirror, wondering what was going on in Derek's mind and how much their life would change with the mysterious neurosurgeon moving in.

Once they finally arrived at the house, they received a warm welcome from Bella, who seemed especially enchanted with Derek. "You have a dog?" Derek asked in disbelief as he petted the golden retriever's head, a small smile forming on his lips.

"She was a rescue," Joanna explained. "We found her on the road and we couldn't just leave her there."

"Em?" Christopher called loud enough so that Emily could hear on the second floor.

"In here," she shouted from the guest bedroom. She appeared a few seconds later, coming down the stairs with a welcoming smile. "Hi, Emily Hale."

"Derek Shepherd," he said trying not to stumble on his words. The blonde woman was one of the most beautiful people he had ever met, and he had to stop himself from gawking.

"She likes you," Emily told him, watching as the golden retriever wagged her tail as she nuzzled Derek's hand for more pets.

"Come on, you must be tired," Joanna said to her old mentor. "I'll show you to your room."

"I've made the bed and freed the closet," Emily said. "If you need anything, just ask."

"This is too much, Jo, I could have just stayed in a hotel," Derek said as he entered the room perfectly decorated. The bed was made with fresh linen sheets, and the entire room had a pleasant scent of lavender.

"Nonsense," Emily said. "You can stay at my house for as long as you like. Besides, any friend of Jo is a friend of mine."

⋆⋅☆⋅⋆

THE FOLLOWING MORNING, Joanna decided to escort Derek to Seattle Grace, wanting to be the first to show him to his new home. She guided him to the Chief's office, where the Chief quickly told Joanna to "find something useful to do." And truly, she actually had quite a few things to do, like freak out over the idea of having to spend her year teaching a batch of interns she knew nothing about.

"Rhodes!" Joanna heard her name being called a few feet away from her, by the one and only Miranda Bailey.

"Hi, Dr. Bailey."

"Who is that talking to the Chief?" Bailey asked.

"That's Derek Shepherd, the new head of-"

"Neuro?" she guessed.

"Yeah. He is starting today," Joanna continued. "Hm- Dr. Bailey, can I ask you something?"

"You are already asking me something," Dr. Bailey deadpanned.