Consequences

NOTE - this is kinda long coz i was irritated and i decided to take it out on Deruth ~~~
_______________________________________

Deruth Henituse was very happy man. His fiance and him had finally decided on a date to marry. He had an adorable toddler and even though his son didn't talk much , he was able to spend time with everyone together.

Cale had approved of the marriage and he even smiled with the family , he hadn't reacted as Deruth had first anticipated or hated deruth. His smile was still the same old bright smile that he had always had.

If only he had bothered to look a little closer he might have seen that the smile was wobbly and his eyes were dead . Then maybe.....maybe he wouldn't be seeing what he was right now.

Violan and Basen had came to visit as usual and Deruth, who usually made Ron call Cale for them felt like they should all go and get him together.

He was feeling strangely restless today and now that violan and basen were here it was clear that he only needed to check on cale and he would finally be at peace again.

He was also anxious because even though cale smiled brightly at them, he never bothered to talk as much as children his age ought to or at all some times . He had also been strangely distant. He always looked lost in his thoughts with a glint in his eyes that scared Deruth.

It made count uneasy, like a storm was brewing that would wreck his life and he couldn't so much as feel the charge in the air.

His life has been very blissful lately, even the territory didn't have any issues at all . It felt just like the calm before the storm or maybe it wasn't that at all , maybe the reason he couldn't feel anything at all was because the storm had already reached its crescendo and he was in the centre of it all , the eye of a storm is always the calmest after all, even as it destroyed everything else.

Now , standing at the entrance to his son's bathroom, trying to make Sense of what he was seeing, he numbly thought to himself that he should have checked on his son sooner, when the itch that something was wrong just wouldn't go away.
He should have ...
He should have just checked on him instead of once again being the coward he was , then maybe....
Maybe ....he could have-
but he had brushed it aside , even as the unease continued to grow.

He had waited for his new family to check on them first, he should have checked on his son first. Cale was closest to reach after all. He was in the same house as Deruth himself so Why? Why hadn't he? Because he was a coward who was still afraid of facing his own son? He should have gone to him instead of waiting in his office when was he not in his office?when was the last time he was in his son's room? Why couldn't he remember??!!

Cale had stood outside his office for more than a year , day after day , without giving up on him and even though he was not ready to look at his son , his presence had still grounded him . He still had cale , he had told himself while refusing to answer to his son. He should have.....he should have answered then maybe....maybe he would have seen that cale wasn't as fine as he showed himself to be. He was still a child, he should have never been the one to have to be fine , to be strong, it was Deruth's job , not his child's. He should have been the one to be stronger for both himself and Cale . But he hadn't. He had been locked up in his office just like he had done this day.

He had waited in his office for his new family members while life had been draining out of his son. If he had just checked on him then maybe , maybe he could have reached him on time. Maybe he could have saved him.