the act of duty and love

Start from the beginning

"You don't know?" Remus blinked at him in pure shock and Radagon furrows his brows at him.

"Malenia..doesn't want me around anymore. Ever since the incident, she said she feels nothing but a burden. She says I.." His body shivers at her previous words, "That I deserve better. B-But that's not true! I still very much care for her."

The more he explained, the king's eyes softened as he rambled and he put a hand on his shoulder to numb the pain Remus felt as he spoke.

"I'm sorry, Remus. I was aware of Marika putting you on missions but I wasn't aware that you stopped spending your free time with my daughter. Are you..alright?"

Remus was petrified when he asked the final question. Had he been alright? No one has asked him that question since his departure from his master and that alone triggered sadness for the shadow. His body quivered more and his hands buried into fists. He looked like he wanted to crumble and Radagon frowned,

"Oh..my son, I'm so sorry for asking." Radagon pulls him to an embrace and Remus froze at his sudden affection. He had never considered Radagon a father figure but the embrace alone had made him comfortable and allowed him to weep quietly in his arms.

"N-No, I'm sorry." He choked out. "I failed. I should've tried harder to stay but she forced her hand. If I could've stayed, I would. Till the day I die."

"I know. I know. You're a good kid, Remus." 

"I'm no good." Remus shook in his hug.

"You are, Remus. You're too hard on yourself. I know you care and that's all that matters. You may be a shadow first, but you're just as real as anyone of us."

"T-Thank you, sir."

"Don't fret now. In fact, that's the reason I'm here." He releases him. "I have a way of making things better for her. She's my daughter, after all, and even I believe I've failed her as a father. I haven't been much around her and I suppose I feel I am missing out on most of her life."

"It's not your fault." Remus interjected. "I know the queen has told you not to intervene for your sake."

"It's not right." Radagon seethes through his teeth. "I've failed as a father to my first three children and Malenia..she needs me too. I need to be there for her."

"She knows you care. Malenia still talks fondly of you."