"Tell me," his voice was slick with rage, "where he is."

With a swift hand he grabbed a milk bottle from the fridge and smashed it across the leg of both man and chair. Despite the inflicted gash he received no response. The man on the ground was too dazed from his recent collision. Golden hair was becoming sticky and matted. All he managed was a grunt.

"WHERE IS HE!?"

Losing patience he drew his arm back and hurtled the broken bottle into the woman's exposed back. What milk survived the journey quickly turned pink. She stiffened as a single tear struck the floor. Their assailant briskly strode through the glass and ripped a small body away from its human shield. As he held the girl by her short braids she squirmed and kicked him in the jaw. He shook her violently and held a knife to her throat.

"Any last words?"

She whimpered; her mother cried; her father bled.

"Is this a dagger which I see before me, the handle toward my hand?" The Commander snarled.

The knife clattered to the floor; soon followed by a bead of crimson.

"Or better yet, uneasy lies the head that wears the crown." The Captain's voice dropped threateningly.

He relinquished his hold on the braids; the little girl crumpled to the floor. Captain Arlo motioned at her and she scrambled back into her mother's arms. Bits of glass embedded themselves into her knees and palms along the way.

"Cap...Captain!" The stammering stutter was back.

"Elite Quinten, escort this boy outside immediately. I will be there in a moment. Commander, call in Doctor Gentri."

The Intern, the Elite, and the Commander all stepped out of the room as the Captian approached the upturned chair. Switching the gun for a blade he sliced off the bindings. The father gratefully righted himself, gently rubbing his swollen wrists before standing. Captain Arlo gave him the nearby broom as a crutch. Hobbling towards his wife he gripped her hand and examined his three children.

"Did he take a life?"

"No." The father responded, his jaw set.

James Arlo peered out the tiny kitchen window. The setting sun danced over the tops of whitening wheat. A few birds lazily circled the field mice. Anything was better than the wreckage inside.

"I personally apologize for the actions of that youth. You will be well compensated for this. A doctor will arrive in half an hour. However," The two men locked eyes, "we are in agreement that there will be no more riots in Sector 5."

Dusting off his suit the Captain of the Guard returned his knife to the belt. He stepped onto the rotting porch and attempted to close the door behind him. The Intern must have broken it down as splintered wood let it pop open a tad.

The intern braced himself for impact as the creaking steps spelled out his punishment. The instant Elite Quentin stepped back the intern was struck by a heavy hand.

"Idiot! Can't you understand a simple order? I told you to go to the clean up sight, not clean up yourself!" Captain Arlo panted over the intern's small frame.

"Cap—Captain. I am sorry. I thought, I thought I could—I could..." The intern stammered out a few words as his hands protected his head.

"Spit it out!" Roared Captain Arlo "You sure didn't hesitate in that house."

"I wanted to find Target Two Captain!"

"Get up!"

The intern jumped to his feet only to be struck across the cheek with a backhanded blow. His hands shot up instinctively; too late to protect himself.

"Yes Captain!"

James fished out his cellphone and hit record. "Report!"

He hesitated for a second too long. The Captain struck him harder. This time, instead of covering his head, he saluted.

"Intern Luca Collins reporting to Captain of the Guard, James Arlo. Earlier today I reported to the Captain's office where I received a command. I was to report to rebellion clean up in Sector 5. Upon arrival I realized that the nearest residency belonged to the Edward family. Using my best judgement and knowledge I interrogated them for information."

"Why?"

"They are the family of Target Two, Captain!"

"Are you aware of that case's status?"

"Yes, Captain!"

"Was anyone killed?"

"No, Captain!"

"Was there blood?"

"Yes, Captain!"

"Were there minors present?"

"Yes... Captain."

"In violation of section twelve of the Inner Crown Rule— which states: 'no interrogation may be conducted in the presence of minors under the age of twelve'— you are hereby placed under parole with Elite Quentin Withers for the duration of eight weeks. During which time you will wear a tracking collar and report daily. After eight weeks your position as an Intern to the Crown Guard will be examined by the Elite Court."

James terminated the recording, sending it to the internal databases held within Tadmor. Luca, the intern, gulped as a tight, silvery band locked itself around his throat. It was sleeker than the original design, more pleasing to the eye. Dr. Gentri was the brains behind the collar. Callum Edwards was its first victim. After the success of his interrogation she modified the range and severity of the punishment. Luca knew that one wrong step would result in cardiac arrest. An attempt to remove the collar without the Captain's key was a death sentence. What only Dr. Gentri and Captain Arlo knew was that the collar also recorded all activity. The small keyhole in the front held a miniature camera; the inner sensors monitored cardiac and respiratory rates; the small light on the left reported location. Those who wore the collar were essentially prisoners of Tadmor: their cell was Katomo.

"Riddle me this: a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Tell me what that means."

"I don't—I don't know Captian." Luca could feel the electricity's ever so slight pulse around his throat.

"Think about it: as a hound," Captain Arlo pointed towards a soaring speck, "can I reach that bird? Can I see his nest?"

"N-no?"

"Exactly! On the other hand, if I found a little bird, fallen from the nest," Captain Arlo pulled the collar upwards until Luca scraped the mud by his tiptoes, "I could easily cage it."

As if time repeated itself Captian Arlo dropped the helpless form onto the ground. Luca was acting like the little girl: whimpering as the collar sizzled in agitation. Captain Arlo kicked him in the side. There was a sharp crack as an unknown rib gave way.

"Stop barking at the trees you can't climb." James gazed across the field. "Is that understood?"

"Yes..." Luca gasped, "...Captain!"

Without a trace of tetrodotoxin left in his system Captain James Arlo strode through the muddy ruts. Halfway down the road he paused briefly. Dr. Gentri leaned her head in, exchanged a few words, and briskly walked into the broken home. Commander Jackson tossed the keys over Rufus and into the outstretched palm. Catching them by his favorite keychain James rubbed it thoughtfully.

"Callum must be the gods' favorite little bird. It's a shame that he flew the coop."