ex lover | Sano Manjiro

Start from the beginning

You wiped your face and chest. You didn't even realised that you were sweating. You stayed silent for a while and breathed. Then continued.

" A person like these you want to kill, Mr. Inspector, I tell you, as a person who has assassin impulses towards him, so I wouldn't be surprised if you had told me that Manjiro's head had been found put in storage in a refrigerator. "

Milord stared to laugh.

" Thank you, you were very eloquent. However, you must have given an idea of how vaguely what he was spending with him in reality, about the causes of this... unusual blasé. What was his family saying ? "

" He doesn't have family nor friends. He had 2 other brothers and a sister - none of them being biologically siblings, they were half siblings, and one of his brothers wasn't blood related to neither of them - He was an orphan since childhood. He was part of an endangered family. No cousins, aunt, uncles - nothing. Something, however, reached my ears... We were at Eforie Nord, in Romania, on vacation, married for three years. At the resort we met a certain girl, Senju, a former friend of Manjiro's. It was her and her husband. A sweet couple. As it happens on vacation, we got closer and had a joint schedule. One day, at the guillotine - the men and women were separated in that time - I don't know how it happened, and the discussion slipped on a more intimate slope. At one point, this girl, Senju ,asks me " are you happy ? " I was shocked, I replied " Mikey is a decent man, I have nothing to reproach him. Maybe surly, too closed in himself..." she started laughing " Mikey surly ! Who would have imagined ? He and Baji, another friend of ours, were the soul of parties, and I can say that if we had a beautiful adolescence, we owe it to them in good measure !... " she had a strange nostalgic smile and something else, like a bitter finding about the consequences of pre-existing facts. I tried to inquire about it " I'm just astounded, like we're talking about two different people. Humans are evolving, but the main coordinates remain stable. Did something unusual happened in his life ? " It visibly gave back, I had in front of my eyes the image of a snail suddenly retracted into the shell "About this, I don't know anything... I think we've talked enough, come on, let's shower."

" Something, however, happened " Milord commented " His evolution was really... Unexpected."

" There would be something else... that same evening, we went to dine at the Pearl. Manjiro had to make an urgent phone call to Tokyo and stayed to queue at the post office, as were then intercity calls. Me and the two, Senju and her husband, went straight to the restaurant to catch a meal. I had my job at the toilet and, when I came back, I captured a part of their discussion : ' I hope you didn't say anything about Masako ' Senju's husband said, to which she replied ' Do you think I'm stupid?! '

" Interesting " Milord appreciated " although..."

" I know what you want to say, but I felt then, and I believe it today, that they were talking about me and Manjiro. The secret atmosphere, the low voices, the way they changed the subject when they saw me, all pleaded in the same direction."

" I assume you have made investigations about this 'Masako' "

" I tried, but I had no track, like he hadn't kept any connection with his 'previous existence'. I searched through his personal papers hoping to come across a letter, a photo, anything but this man seemed devoid of memories. "

" That's how he wanted it to be. In the last analysis, it is not the memories in a drawer that matter, but those in our soul. After all, didn't you find out anything about Masako ? "

" Nothing. "

" How come you didn't ask him? After all, as a wife, you were entitled to do it "

You started laughing honestly amused.

" You don't understand . You imagine that a normal couple relationship had set in between us , of sweet intimacy ? We were holding hands at a movie ! " you shout without releasing " he was un-ap-proach-a-ble!!! Just the idea that I could attack such a personal subject with a beloved girl, maybe the love of his life, cut off my wings, my legs, my breath ! "

" Still, you supported for 7 years! "

" Stoic. Why? Stupid and out of a moron optimism - patience, it will change ! "

[...]

You lead Milord to the gate of the garden and here you catch yourself with your hands by the silver spears of the iron fence

" Over the years, I've seen thinking and I know that I'm not wrong. Manjiro's key is at Masako " you said smiling " If you find out something, please, tell me. I do not like the mysteries and, much less the ones that are part of my life "

 I do not like the mysteries and, much less the ones that are part of my life "