"Sorry but we must go," Phoebe said turning to the door and giving me a thank you look.

I quickly follow her out of the room. Ryan turns to come to but Phoebe's Father pulled him back.

"You can go, I want to talk to Ryan," her Father said.

"Robert, anything that you and Kristy want to say to Ryan you can say to me and Zoe as well," Phoebe snapped.

I was surprised that she called her parents by their first names but I probably shouldn't have been given how much she hates them. 

"I am not talking to him in front of you," Robert said.

Phoebe grabbed Ryan's arm and dragged him away. Robert didn't have time to react so we made it out the door.

Phoebe waved to Michael the driver as we walked past the garage.

"You might not want to go in and see him unless you have some really good news," Phoebe warned as we headed up to her room.

"What is our English project again?" I asked.

"We have to write about what you do as a hobby?" Phoebe smiled.

Ryan was sitting on the bed reading some novel.

"Phoebe," Ryan moaned

"What?" Phoebe asked still writing.

"I don't like this book," Ryan moaned again.

"And I don't like you but you are still here aren't here," Phoebe teased.

Ryan stuck his tongue out but still kept reading it.

 Margaret came in later when Phoebe and I had both finished our work but Ryan was still reading. She told us that dinner was ready and we followed her down. Phoebe and I sat on the same side of the table with Ryan opposite. It was awkward and very quiet. No one was saying anything.

"So Zoe, how you are finding it here?" Robert asked.

"It's nice," I said shortly.

"How did you meet Phoebe?" Kristy asked.

"We are partnered for English and we both do athletics," I said.

"Nice, what do you think of Ryan?" Kristy asked.

"He's awesome," I said.

The table when silent again and Phoebe stood up to leave.

"I'm going to take Zoe home," She smiled and led me upstairs to grab my stuff.

"Thanks for coming," Phoebe said.

"What sort of friend do you think I would be if I didn't come and help you?" I smirked.

 Phoebe's POV

I came back to my family sitting on the couches with Ryan. It was stony silence so I slid into the seat next to Ryan.

"I see that you have found someone else to order around," Mother snapped.

"Thanks but in case you didn't I don't order people around," I snapped.

"I don't care what you think but you aren't allowed to see him anymore," Mother smirked.

"Don't you realise that this is my choice and my life?"

"Because you don't get that right."

"Why not? Because I'm not your clone like Margaret?"

"You have had bad experiences and you need protecting," Mother said.

"Ryan can do that," I said firmly.

"He can't protect you from everything."

"No but I am almost 18 so I don't need protecting. You wouldn't know everything anyway so how would you know?" I challenged.

"I know that you have had cancer and that you aren't fine yet."

"But you weren't there so you wouldn't know. Ryan was the only one there."

"You are my daughter and I care for you," Mother said.

"And I don't consider you my Mother. You and Father were never there so you don't know me very well. Ryan is the only person that is always there and I'm not going to stand here and let you insult me so just fuck off," I said standing up to leave.

Father grabbed my arm and yanked me back.

"You don't insult your Mother and get to leave," he snapped.

"Like you do, I'm not stupid, I have known since I was about nine that you are whoreing around with other woman. I guess that since you are rich you get to play by other rules," I smirked.

He let go of my arm in surprise. I talk the opportunity to escape with Ryan.

"That was either really smart or really stupid," Ryan said as we sat on my bed.

"I can't stand there and let them insult me," I said.

"I think you were right to do it though," he mused.

"I'm always right. You should know that by now," I teased.

"I really like Zoe though. She is good for you."

"She is awesome and she doesn't mind my fucked up family."

"Do you have training tomorrow?"

"Yeah, I'm not going to be back until 6."

"What should I do? I'm guessing your family will still be here."

"I can pick you up from your place," I suggested.

"Do you think that I want to see them either?" he smirked.

"You could come and train with us," I suggested.

"Do you think that I would be allowed?"

"Does it look like I care?"

We both changed and slipped into bed.

"Thanks for being here," I said as I slipped into sleep next to Ryan.

 ............................................................................................................................................................................................................

Who guess that? There was a few new secrets in that chapter. I have updated the Short Story if you want to read it.

Comment and Vote

The Wise One.