Chapter 17: Contention Among Tribes

ES-02 stood over Alanja with her helmet under her arm. Together, they settled into the shuttle to make their way down to the surface of Ryloth with the rest of Crosshair's Elite Squad. Being back on the star-destroyer with the ES Unit had been a bit of a relief from the cold, white treachery of Tipoca City. Just like Alanja, they relaxed. However, now that they were boarding the shuttle, Alanja wondered how long that reprieve would last. Crosshair had gone ahead with Rov to Ryloth, leaving the ES Unit to guard Alanja, and she was unsure if it was Crosshair's absence that put the soldiers at ease or their leaving Kamino.

ES-02 had bristled when Alanja asked Rov, "Why can't I just go now?" Alanja had insisted.

The Elite Soldier's eyes flickered between Crosshair and Rov, giving away that it was Crosshair's idea that Alanja be left behind. Rov gave his little patronizing smirk, one feigned sympathy and just wanted compliance from Alanja. That expression was nothing new to her, and it infuriated Alanja. Furrowing his thick brows, Rov said, "I know you seek some respite, sister. This will be your chance. However, there have been some troubling reports of insurgency." Rov patted Crosshair on the back with one of his proud grins that was a stark contrast to the empathetic one he gave Alanja. "The commander and I will get things in order before you arrive. Better safe than sorry."

Crosshair puffed with pride that her brother was bringing him along. He even winked at her as they boarded their shuttle, leaving her in the capable hands of his ES Unit. It was bittersweet. Ever since she freed him of his chip, he had been kinder to her, always stealing glances when he thought she was not looking. It was kind of endearing, and it was at his insistence that his unit remained behind with Alanja, knowing the risk she took on his behalf to force Nala Se to help him. Ambassador Rampart would forever face the danger of assassination for doing that.

The journey to Ryloth had garnished a loose friendship between Alanja and the three Elite Soldiers. While on Kamino, the three soldiers were as unnerved by the clones as was Alanja. Before they departed from Kamino, the ES Unit eagerly stayed at Alanja's side, hoping to please her and gain more of Rov's attention, much to the chagrin of Corsair and his men.

"Safe travels, ma'am," Corsair bid Alanja. "We eagerly await your return."

ES-02 glared at Corsair and his men. She hated the clones, often bucking up to them when they didn't move out of Alanja's way quick enough. The ES Unit was as elated as Alanja when they finally received their reprieve from Kamino and rejoined Rov and Crosshair on Ryloth.

ES-02 had even smiled at Alanja, saying, "I hope there will not be too much longer of that," remarking on the endlessness of white armored clones.

Coming up the ramp, a squad of clones joined them on the shuttle to be ferried down to Ryloth. They were a batch straight off the line, young and still too identical. Perfectly synced, they marched towards Alanja and the ES Unit in two columns.

Alanja breathed out the word "indeed" through a pleasant smile as she strapped herself into her seat.

Low and a bit disgusted, ES-02 added, referring to the sea of identical cloned faces, "You never know which one's talking to you unless it is the commander." A coldness in her gray eyes, the black-haired woman remained distanced from fully embracing Alanja; the gulf between a vice admiral's little sister and a soldier was unfortunately just too vast for real camaraderie beyond professional politeness.

Alanja chuckled. "I look forward to seeing him when we reach Ryloth." Maintaining her disarming grin, Alanja leaned forward to get a better look at the clones reaching for their handgrips, but ES-02 just shook her head.

"Why are you so nice to him? He's a mean...." ES-02 stopped mid-sentence when Alanja raised a quizzical brow. "I don't think he likes anyone but you, Miss Rampart."