"Not to mention," she continued. "Humanity thinks vampirism can be cured. And what is Lady Violet doing? Reassuring humanity instead of taking care of her people."

"She's correcting misinformation," he told her.

"Is there an antidote for this condition?" she asked, ignoring his comment.

"Not yet," he began.

Lady Hargrave shook her head. "Everyone is incompetent these days. Fine. I'll do everything as I have been."

"It's not that easy," he said, almost impatiently.

"Not with that mentality. I hope you haven't gotten used to being human."

Alexander looked away. Other than a few inconveniences like not being able to visit Rin whenever he wanted, it wasn't that bad. There was still something he had to get used to like water temperature, dressing according to weather, sleep, and his body. But nothing compared to the feeling of holding someone you cared about and knowing you wouldn't accidentally crush them.

And yet, it was much more than that. He was still able to do his work as Crown Prince. Sure, he called about his aids to help but that wasn't anything to be ashamed of. Vampire or not, he could still help his people.

"That kind of thinking makes you a traitor to your people."

His mother's words twisted into his gut like a knife.

"I know my responsibilities, mother," he said quietly. "As I said before, I didn't come here to argue. My mind is made up. I will have Rin at my side. The question is, will you interfere?"

Lady Hargrave sat back, hand on her chest. "If that's all you wanted, why did you come all the way here?" she asked. "You could have called instead. Then again, maybe not since you haven't reached out in years."

"Then, was it a waste of time to come here?"

"That's just rude," she said.

Alexander stood. This was going nowhere. He needed to find Rin and leave.

"Everything alright?"

He turned to Rin's voice. Wordlessly, he walked up to her and grabbed her hand.

"How did the measuring go?" Lady Hargrave asked.

"It was fine," Rin replied.

Lady Hargrave stood. "Now that you're here, we can take a walk in the garden. Some tempers have run too high."

Wordlessly, Lady Hargrave turned and started down a stone path. Sighing, Alexander followed her with Rin in tow. The garden was beautiful and well-kept, to say the least.

"I know why you've come," Lady Hargrave said. "Children tend to visit their parents when they want something."

Alexander squeezed Rin's hand. She frowned at him, and he shook his head. Even though Lady Hargrave had made it seem like she was okay with their relationship, he needed to have her say it. Otherwise, there be too many misunderstandings.

"Yes," he said aloud. "We know many will be against our union. I'm here to ask if you'll support us."

"If I say no?"

"That's fine," Rin suddenly said. "It will be unfortunate, but we don't want to force you."

Lady Hargrave stopped. "It's fine?" she echoed. "If you said that to anyone else, you'd start a war. "

"Ah yes," Alexander said. "For the sake of someone's pride, millions will die." He sighed. "Seeing how you don't agree, will you actively oppose us?"

At this, Lady Hargrave continued walking. "There will be a lot of flies buzzing," she said. "I may not have the patience."

"I doubt the buzzing of flies will change your mind," Rin said.

"Hmm, you are right about that."

They continued their walk around the garden in silence. Alexander reassured Rin by rubbing her thumb with his own. They walked around the garden before arriving back at their tea table.

Lady Hargrave sat. Almost immediately, Brenden appeared, pouring new cups of tea. Rin and Alexander sat. They picked up their teacups and took a sip.

"I won't oppose you," Lady Hargrave finally said. "But that doesn't mean I approve. I still believe Princess Cassidy is a much better partner. She's been educated in how to run a kingdom."

Alexander finished the rest of his tea before speaking. "Mother," he warned.

"But just like the princess learned, I'm sure Rin can learn as well. Don't be surprised if the criticism starts early. Everyone has an opinion of what kind of partner should stand beside a prince."

"I'll keep that in mind," Rin replied.

The conversation turned into a gossip column where Lady Hargrave shared everything about everyone. A certain reporter received information from an insider at a bank or someone was hoarding supplies and barely sending any to the appropriate sector.

Alexander and Rin munched on the treats in silence. Alexander had long since learned not to interrupt his mother while she diverged sensitive information about her opponents.

After finishing her fourth glass, Lady Hargrave sat back in her chair.

"That's all I can help with," she said. "Do with that information as you will. Oh and I'll send you the outfits soon. I need to find a designer who can deliver what I seek. Brenden will see you out."

The butler appeared once more and bowed. "Please follow me."

As Lady Hargrave stood, so did Alexander and Rin.

"Be careful on your way home," she said. "And do visit more often."

She gave them each a hug. It took all of five seconds to say their goodbyes. As soon as the door closed behind them, Alexander walked Rin to the waiting car. Neither of them spoke as the valet handed Alexander the keys and they got in. The doors closed.

"Well," Rin began. "That was -"

"Better than I thought," Alexander said. "Let's go home."

Rin settled back in her seat. "Yeah."

As he pulled away from the mansion, Alexander couldn't help but wonder which parts of the conversation with his mother he could trust.