Chapter 4: Assassination Attempt

Start from the beginning

I give him a sympathetic smile then I lean up and kiss his cheek. "It'll be okay, Newt." I said, softly, and he looks at me for a moment before nodding. "I guess I better go." I said as I gesture to Hicks and Jacob. "Okay...be careful." He said and I nod. "I will as will you and Jason." I said then he leans in and gives me a kiss.

We break the kiss and he goes over to Jason and I go and give Jason a hug then I start to go towards Jacob and Hicks but I stop and turn. "Newt!" I said and he turns his head and I give him a small smile. "I love you." I said and he smiles back. "I love you too." He said and we go our separate ways.

*3rd Person POV*

Edmund, Newt’s case in hand, skirts a tram and steps briskly across the street to a leather goods store. As a small bell tinkles, Otto, a large, wispy-haired man in an apron, looks up from a table cluttered with shears and mallets and clamps.

"Can I help you?" Otto asked Edmund as he steps to the counter and places Newt’s case carefully on the glass top. "Yes, good sir. I’d like to have this case replicated, please." Edmund said. "Certainly." Otto said and Edmund watches nervously as the man runs his calloused hands over the beaten case, examining it from myriad angles, then tries to flip open the catch. "Oh, no. That’s not necessary. The interior isn’t important." Edmund said and the man eyes him, curiously, then shrugs.

"I see no reason I can’t make you one." he said andeas the man turns to get paper and pen on the shelf behind, the baby Qilin pops her head out of the case and peers around curiously. Edmund quickly, and gently, eases her back inside just before the man turns back. "If you leave it here—" Otto started to say but then Edmund speaks over him. "Oh, no. I couldn’t...leave it. And I’ll be needing more than one. You see, my son he’s a bit absentminded. He’s always forgetting and losing things. He'd lose his head if it wasn't attached..." Edmund said then he let's out a small chuckle while Otto quirks up a small smile. "Ah, but I still love him." Edmund said once every stopped laughing.

"Exactly how many were you thinking?" Otto asked him. "Half a dozen, good sir. And I’ll need them in two days’ time." Edmund said and Otto eyes him for a moment. Moments later, Edmund returns across the street holding Newt’s case.

Meanwhile, in Nurmengard, Queenie peers down from a window and sees Isabella and two followers, Zabini and Carrow, in defensive posture. "Show your hands!" Zabini orders as Kama calmly raises his hands and continues to advance then he stops. Isabella separates from the others and crosses to him.

"Who are you?" she asked him, firmly. "My name is Yusuf Kama." Kama said as Grindelwald and another follower, Rosier, emerge from the castle. "Who’s our visitor?" Grindelwald asked, curiously. "I’m an...admirer." Kama said. "You murdered his sister. Her name was Leta." Rosier said and Isabella turns to Kama. "Ah, I thought I recognized you." She said as Grindelwald eyes him. "Leta Lestrange." Kama said. "Ah, yes. You and your sister share an ancient bloodline.." Grindelwald said. "Shared. It’s the only thing we shared." Kama corrects.

Grindelwald studies Kama carefully. "Dumbledore sent you, am I right?" Grindelwald asked him. "He fears you are in possession of a creature. He fears the use you may put it to. He sent me here to spy on you. What would you like me to tell him?" Kama asked him. "Queenie. Is he telling the truth?" Grindelwald asked and Queenie eyes Kama. Something troubles her eyes. She nods.

Grindelwald’s gaze shifts to Credence in the shadows. Grindelwald nods, almost imperceptibly, and Credence slips away. Grindelwald turns his gaze back on Kama. "What else?" He asked. "Even though he believes in you, he holds you responsible for his sister’s death. He carries her absence with him every day. Every breath he takes is a reminder that she breathes no more." Queenie said as she sees Kama staring into her eyes. Grindelwald nods to himself, as if pondering this. Then draws his wand.