Chapter 13: Marvel

My tongue refuses to moisten. We drank most of our water and our food supply is low. We Careers have never gone through starvation, so it's hard when we are starving. "Water," I mumble weakly.

"Later," Glimmer says. "We can go to the lake tomorrow,"

My hands reach for a berry in the bush. I pick a clump, juicy berry, which probably holds so much juice. For proof, I gently squeeze the berry. I gasp at my discovery. The berry was heartlessly dry. "No juice," I whine.

Cato wakes up. "It dried up a long time ago,"

"And you didn't think to ask me?" I say. My voice sounds raspy.

He eats a strange-looking leaf. "I forgot," he says.

My eyes flicker to the leaves in Cato's hand. "What are those?" I ask.

"Mint leaves. Helps to think dinner is over," Cato pops more in his mouth.

Glimmer pushes me and grabs some. "Thanks,"

I take one and chew it. The cold mint flavor tastes like those red and white candies at home. I think they're peppermint candies.

Annie and Finnick are asleep, but I place a leaf in their hands. "These are good," I say.

"They are," Cato says. "Let's mash these up with the dry berries,"

I take a bowl and grab a handful of berries. Ten mint leaves for good measure, and some honey I had in my pack for some reason.

"Why is there honey in your pack, Marvel?" Glimmer asks. 

"I don't know," I say. "But it's useful,"

Cato puts a few drops of iodine in the bowl to purify it. "Perfect. This is a meal!" Cato cheers.

"Or are you a meal?" Someone asks.

We all whir around and find the Norta people. I take my spear and throw it. It lands directly in a boy's heart. "Shade!" the girl Mare, I think says.

A cannon sounds, just as the silver hair girl thrusts a knife at Cato, but he dodges. He grabs his sword and cuts another boy's leg.

"Ow!" The boy whines.

Mare walks over to him. "Tramy, that was just a cut," she says.

Another boy that looks like Tramy tries to kill Glimmer, but she takes a knife and stabs him in the neck. "Bree is so stupid," the silver hair girl says.

One more cannon goes off. Annie wakes up full scale and throws an ax at a brown hair girl. "I think Cameron is gonna die," Mare says.

Mare was right. The girl Cameron doesn't duck and the ax lands at her head. A cannon booms. "Let's go. We can deal with them next time," Mare says coldly.

And I, Marvel Sanford, will kill everyone I see and win.