Save It For The Gallows, Traitor!

Start from the beginning

************************************

We arrived at the castle before I knew it. It had been a couple days and Link had been knocked out multiple times. He never was able to stay conscious because every time he woke up, the guards would knock him out again. Today they left him conscious. I didn't know why today was different but I knew Link was very confused and clearly was worrying about me. All this pain should be forced upon me. He shouldn't have to deal with all of this agony. Once the guards returned their horses to the stables, both I and Link were escorted to the throne room where my father was. The look on his face sent chills up and down my spine. He's furious. I have to take all the blame.

"Would you like to explain why you've been gone for so long?" My father began. Has it really been that long?

"I was merely assessing the preparations of the champions piloting the divine beasts. These types of machinery need to be tested thoroughly and in my case, I have fixed almost all of them so they will run properly-" I was interrupted by one of the guards behind Link and I.

"Your majesty, we rode as fast as we could as soon as you sent us. We were shocked to find the appointed knight forcing the princess into such a wicked act. If we hadn't stopped him when we did, he would've done whatever his heart desired-"

"What?!" My father's eyes got so wide.

"Father, he's lying! I started it all-"

"No she didn't! Your majesty I humbly take all the blame for such a treachery to the throne. I should die for my acts so instead of lying I will confess to my sins-" Stop it! You can't take all the blame!

"Link, don't you dare do this! I can't watch you... You shouldn't have to die for something I did!"

"And you won't have your freedom taken away from you just because I made this horrid mistake!" Link said, looking angrily at me.

"Since both of you can't decide who's fault it was, I suppose a punishment for you both is in order. I would've put Link to death and Zelda would never be able to even see the outside of her room but instead I am willing to split the punishments." My father said, grinning evilly.

"Father don't you dare lay a finger on him-"

"She doesn't deserve to receive such a punishment-"

"Silence! Take Link to the dungeons down below. Make sure he understands that he will never speak or even look at the princess from now on. I want him to nearly be dead, soaked in his own blood, barely holding on. Is that clear?" My father said so casually. My heart dropped into my stomach and I could see the horror behind Link's eyes as well.

"And Zelda? We'll talk about this in the library." The air left my lungs. No... not again. I can't... do this. I... I snapped out of my thoughts as I watched Link being forced toward the dungeons below. He had so much fear behind his eyes but I wondered how much fear was actually for him. He seemed more worried about me than about himself.

"Guards?" My father called. They immediately turned to face my father, looking at him expectantly.

"Before Link is tortured, have him come to the library as well. I want him to realize what he's done by touching my daughter." He said, smiling, leading the way to the library.

"Father-"

"Don't argue with me!" My father yelled, causing my whole body to freeze in the fear that was taking over. I couldn't do anything else but follow him. I didn't even want to look at Link. I knew he was losing it. I could feel his anxiety staring into my soul.

We reached the library swiftly. I knew exactly what was about to happen. Link... please don't let this hurt you more than it does me. I can't stand seeing you upset. The guards left, having tied Link's arms to the door handles of the castle so if he tried to move, he would end up hurting himself severely and whoever opened that door would hurt him as well. I stood there, facing my father who was sitting at his desk, now going through some of his drawers, only to pull out a dagger that had cut into my flesh so many times when I was a kid. My father would always cut me down whenever he was disappointed in me. I knew that this time would be the worst cuts I had ever received.

"Your majesty I beg you to reconsider-" Link stopped dead in his sentence as my father walked up to me, grabbing my arm, slicing into it deeply. I barely flinched, not wanting Link to worry but it hurt so much tears already left my eyes. I stared at the ground, knowing that if I looked up, I wouldn't be able to hold my composure but it was no use. My father sliced my cheek and then sliced my shoulder, pushing me to the ground. My whole body was frozen and I could feel the blood from the cuts, trickling down my skin. I gasped as my father held the knife to my neck, causing more blood to flow.

"Maybe one day you'll learn not to cross me like your father did. I won't hesitate to take everything that you love so next time, do as I say." My father said to Link, staring at him in complete rage before I felt my life flash before my eyes. The air left my lungs as I felt more pain than I could possibly handle. I can't breathe! Help me! I can't do this! I opened my eyes to see the knife stabbed into my stomach, blood running down the sides of my waist. There's... so much... I won't... make it. Link... is he okay? I moved my head, staring at him regardless of how bad the room was spinning. No. Not him. Link had lost it. His eyes were downcast and his face said it all. The horror of the sight had shaken him to his core. He was traumatized and couldn't even so much as acknowledge what was going on. He just stared into the stab wound my father had inflicted on me. He couldn't possibly do anything else. My father forced me up, calling in the guards as I stood in a puddle of my own blood.

I couldn't remember much of the way to the dungeon but I knew I would also have to watch Link be tortured as he had me. He was already broken and now he had to receive more pain than he already had.

My father said something that I couldn't hear because of the agony that was tormenting me but as soon as he said something, the guards beat Link to the ground of the dungeon. To my surprise, Link was able to untie the rope that they had wrapped around his wrists and get some hits on both of the guards but it didn't matter in the end. They beat him until he was struggling to breathe. I could only assume they had broken some of his ribs with how hard they hit his sides. The guards then tore the tunic that I had put hours into off of his body, tying him to a post to be whipped and possibly stabbed. Link already had so many scars scattered across his chest. It didn't matter. Those scars would open up with how mad my father was.

"Have fun Zelda. I have more important things to attend to." My father said from behind me, leaving me there with Link while the guards ran into another room to grab everything they possibly could to torture Link. 

I knew I was bleeding and possibly dying with every second I stood, feeling more blood drip out of the wounds my father had given me. I didn't care what the guards did and I knew Link would barely survive this. I wasn't going to let him go. I ran over to him, wrapping my arms around his neck, pulling him as close to me as I could, kissing him deeply. His arms were tied so he couldn't pull me any closer than I already was but he deepened the kiss as soon as he got the chance. He conveyed so many emotions and said so much in that kiss but I couldn't understand everything that he was saying. He was worried sick about me and his anxiety was starting to get the best of him. I knew he knew how much pain I was in and I knew he wanted to be close to me but there was so much more I couldn't translate. 

I didn't have time to figure this new emotion out before the guards pulled me away from Link, throwing me to the ground, the pain surging through my every vein. Before I could turn around, I heard the snap of a whip against flesh but to my surprise, Link didn't even make a sound. I turned to look at him, barely catching him wince for a second before returning to his emotionless self but it didn't last. Every whip sent Link into more pain than before and he eventually broke, yelling more and more with every sudden pain inflicted upon him. He yelled louder, dropping to his knees, tears developing in his eyes, breathing heavily as blood trickled down his skin. Tears streamed down my face, knowing that I couldn't do anything even if I tried. It's all hopeless. It's all going wrong. He's hurting so much for me. I hate it! The guards suddenly stopped, pulling out their daggers, now stabbing into his skin over and over again until Link collapsed onto the ground, blood flowing onto the ground faster than I could even process. Link's eyes fluttered open, staring at me in absolute horror. My heart broke for him. I couldn't stop sobbing. He was doing all of this for me and he didn't even have to. He didn't have to admit to anything. The guards cut the ropes that tied Link's hands to the posts then. Link immediately reached shakily for me with one of his bloody hands. I sobbed louder, not being able to control myself now, completely losing it, not being able to watch this anymore. Link then closed his eyes slowly, falling into a sleep that was sure to take him to the depths of this world. I cried until I passed out from lack of air. I had never experienced something so horrible. 

No one deserves this type of trauma. No one should have to watch the one they love so dearly die right before their eyes.