chapter 15- snowball

"Shit!" Phoebe heard Dustin yell through her closed door.

"What?" she asked as she poked her head out.

"Have you seen the bag?" he asked urgently.

"Bag? What bag?"

"The brown paper one? I walked out of a store with it earlier while we were shopping," he explained.

"Oh, um....I think mom put it in the kitchen somewhere," she offered.

"I already looked," he huffed.

"Well look again because Steve is gonna be here any minute," she said and then shut her door. She turned to the mirror that hung above her dresser and looked herself over again. Her hair was pinned back away from her face, it's natural wave flowing over her shoulders. She was wearing a simple, navy blue dress. She finished the last touches of make up and then applied perfume to her neck and wrists. A car door shut outside, catching her attention, and she quickly slipped on her shoes and grabbed her small purse. 

"Dusty, that's your ride," Claudia called from the living room. "Phoebe, he's here," she said in a sing-song tone. Phoebe rolled her eyes as she walked down the hall. Her mother was standing at the door and opened it as Phoebe stepped into the living room.

"Don't you look nice, Steve! Doesn't he just look so nice, Phoebe?" she asked. Phoebe took in his dark jeans and dark button up shirt. It was rolled at the sleeves and they sat just below his elbows. His hair was swooped to perfection in true Harrington fashion and he wore the same sneakers to finish the look. 

"Nice shoes," Phoebe replied as she held back a chuckle. Steve tilted his head at her before looking her over. The dress hugged her just enough to accent her waist and the skirt fell around her and flowed as she moved. Steve hadn't seen her dressed up like this in a long time, and it would've been perfect if Phoebe had chosen different shoes. Instead of flats, or maybe even heels, she was wearing an old pair of Converse.

"Back at you," Steve chuckled as he saw the scuffs on the toe. She looked down and blushed. Dustin then emerged from his room, his hair...different. The bottom looked the same as always, but the sides were combed back and the top was fluffy, a piece hanging in front of his forehead.

"Nice hair," Phoebe chuckled and Dustin's face fell.

"Oh stop it, you too. It looks great, honey!" Claudia cooed as she picked up her camera. Dustin fell into his familiar array of poses, changing after each flash. Steve and Phoebe made faces at him behind Claudia, causing some of the photos to show him mad rather than smiling.

"All right, Phoebe, your turn," her mom instructed. Phoebe reluctantly switched places with Dustin. After a couple she stopped her mom.

"Okay, we gotta go. We're already late," she said looking at the clock on the wall.

"Wait, one more! Group photo!" Claudia smiled as she motioned for the three of them to get closer. Phoebe stood on the other side of Dustin, putting him in the middle, and grabbed Steve's hand behind his back. She glanced at him with a side smile before facing the camera. The flash went a few times before Claudia shooed them out the door. Steve hurried to his car and opened the passenger door, offering a hand as Phoebe slid in. 

"Ahem," Dustin coughed. "Aren't you gonna open mine?" he asked Steve after he shut Phoebe's door. Steve started to chuckle, but soon realized Dustin was being serious.

"No, dude. Are you kidding?" Steve deadpanned before opening his own door and Dustin rolled his eyes. The drive to the middle school wasn't too long, especially with Dustin and Steve talking about Dustin's hair the entire time. They soon pulled into a spot and Steve and Phoebe both turned to face Dustin.