Chapter One: Welcoming Dinner

The creatures next to him fussed excitedly at the introduction. While Alfred stared wide-eyed at the lectern as the brown-haired man continued his speech. The man's friendly voice was canceled out by a loud ringing in his ears. His head throbbed painfully as he tried to understand what was going on. If this was a dream why did it feel so real?

Was this a dream? Alfred felt the tightening in his chest again and his breathing became erratic. Where the hell am I? Images of people he had met in his life flashed through his head. Trying to give himself some sort of recognition to calm himself down.

He searched for his brother but a different face stuck in his mind, his ex-girlfriend, and he suddenly felt anger well up inside him. A warm and calloused hand suddenly grabbed Alfred's shoulder. It was the woman next to him. She gave him a concerned look. Alfred realized he had been crying and on the verge of a panic attack. No this is a dream it has to be or maybe I died.

I could have fallen asleep and died from carbon monoxide poisoning and I was just hallucination before I went off to the bright and warm heavens. Alfred's thoughts were once again interrupted by the woman sitting next to him. She said something to him but Alfred couldn't tell what as he was working himself up to another panic attack. The woman realized that with his cocked head and dazed expression the tinny creature next to her had not heard her. She repeated herself this time shaking the little thing to get its full attention.

"Do not worry little one, we have two or three more years until we inevitably die!" The woman said cheerfully once again. This time Alfred did hear her. He at first didn't understand her words. More shaken by the fact that she seemed to be speaking a different language. Her mouth moved oddly yet her world came out clearly though. When the words finally registered in his mind it only made Alfred more confused and scared.

"What do you mean? Where are we?" Alfred asked tears returning to his eyes. Alfred felt as though the woman's comment was supposed to make her calm but it only made him feel light-headed. The woman let go of his shoulder to place it back in her lap. She looked at him like he had two heads which only scared Alfred more.

"Well, of course, the Game of the Brides. When a King of a world wishes to get married he hosts a Game of the Brides. Surely your birth creator told you of such stories. Is it not exciting to be chosen!" The woman exclaimed. She leaned toward Alfred a little bit expecting an exciting response back.

"I don't-" Alfred was cut short when another tall woman behind shushed them quite ruffly. The woman he had been talking to winked at him before returning her attention to the speaker. Alfred tried to do the same but he couldn't hear the speaker. All he could hear were his thoughts swimming in his head and his heart trying to beat out of his chest. His ex's face popped up in his mind again. He started to grow angry when a word caught his attention.

"-winner will be crowned Queen. Now, will you all please stand in an orderly fashion and follow the servant at the very left or right of your row. Enjoy your stay and make sure you all try your hardest to win!" The short man explained happily before stepping off the lectern as well as off the stage to some hidden side door. Winner?

What are we winning? Alfred now regretted not paying attention to the speaker. He didn't know where he was. He didn't know who these people were and now he was supposed to be winning something? A sharp jab in his side caught his attention.

The woman-looking thing to his left was signaling for him to stand up. He followed the lead of the women around him and stood up. He started to follow the woman he had talked to before. He wished he could switch places with her in line. The creature behind him constantly was jabbing him or accidentally kicking his calves.

They seemed to walk forever to Alfred. The large castle he was in had many extraordinary artifacts. Alfred gawked at the art pieces, the large structures that loomed over him, the complete diamond vases. Everything was magnificent and everything seemed to have a place. Even the women he walked among.