“Red skin and the trunk of an elephant?” said an older man near the back. “Do you mean like a devil man?” Thomas started in alarm. Devil man was the Haldornian’s name for slavers.

     “Why yes, now that you mention it,” replied the sheriff. “He must have heard a description of a devil man and used it to bolster his description of the demon.”

     “Yes, that must be it,” said the man doubtfully, but he kept his eye firmly fixed on the questers.

     Thomas didn’t like it at all. We’d better get out of here as quickly as possible, he thought. Change the subject in the meantime, and keep it changed. “Er, there’s one other reason we came here,” he said hurriedly. “We lost most of our food and supplies in the fight, and we’d like to buy some more, if we could.”

     “Yes, certainly,” replied the sheriff. “In the morning, you will be able to get whatever you want from old Gharda, our main wholesale supplier.”

     “Well, the thing is, we can’t wait that long,” said the wizard. “We’ve got a long way to go, you see, and not much time to get there. We were sort of hoping that we could be on our way again tonight, and travel a few more miles before dawn.”

     “I am afraid not,” replied the sheriff. “Old Gharda does go to his bed at sundown, and only an earthquake will get him up before dawn. Besides, you cannot leave for three days, or you will not get your reward money.”

     “We don’t want any reward,” said Diana. “You may distribute it to the poor of this town.”

     All the townsmen cheered, but her brothers felt a familiar despair settle over them. “We’re going to have to do something about her,” whispered Matthew.

     The sheriff put the palms of his hands together and bowed his head. “Your generosity humbles us, noble lady. It shall be as you say.”

     “My friend is right, though, when he says that we must be leaving as soon as we can,” continued the cleric. “Tonight if possible. If this Old Gharda you speak of could be prevailed upon to supply us right now, we would be most grateful.”

     “Normally, that would be impossible,” replied the sheriff. “However, in return for your great generosity, I think he might be more amenable to reason. We can only try.”

     “We would be most grateful,” said Diana, and they all stood to leave the tavern.

     As they were stepping out into the night, however, Thomas felt the cthillian’s slimy, repellent thoughts seeping into his head and he stumbled in surprise. “What are you doing?” it asked. “You have had ample time to complete your business here. We must be gone.”

     “What’s wrong?” asked the sheriff, seeing the wizard’s step falter. Thomas said nothing, but started walking again, keeping up with the others. “I can’t speak now,” he whispered, hoping the sheriff wouldn’t hear him.

     “It is not necessary for you to speak,” replied the slaver. “I can hear the thoughts that you wish to communicate. Just form the words in your mind. Now answer me. What is keeping you?”

     “We’re on our way to pick up our supplies right now,” thought the wizard in his head as the cthillian had directed. “We won’t be long.”

     “See that you are not,” replied the slaver, and fell silent.

     Lirenna saw the relief on Thomas’s face and came over to walk beside him. “Charlie?” she asked quietly.