Chapter Nine

With Ruthel informing him of every turn, intersection and side passage ahead of him, Dovyel was really no closer to finding his way out. Though it did make it easier to travel. He no longer had to hold his hands before him. Ruthel was gracious enough to tell him when he would come to a wall. This lifted a certain burden from him, however it increased his curiosity on how Ruthel was able to see in this pitch black and so clearly too. He knew the whole, you grow accustomed to it thing. Yet he sus[ected there was more to it than that, but he didn't bother to ask because he was sure Ruthel would not answer in any useful way.

Dovyel wondered for a moment if perhaps Ruthel was some sort of goblin or something. He quickly shook that thought aside. There were no such things as them. Was there?

"If you get out, you really must show me how you found your way in here," said Ruthel breaking a long silence. "I would very much like to seal it up to prevent any more of you from falling in unexpected.

"I understand the sentiment, but I really doubt you will have to worry about anyone else coming in that way. It's not exactly an obvious entrance and it was a bit of a unique situation that got me down here."

"Fork right ahead," said Ruthel. "Do tell then. What lead you to wind up down here?"

Donyel paused in his movements for a moment to chose which way to go. Settling on the right. "See, I really feel like I shouldn't say. It might wind me up somewhere I really rather not be."

"It can't put you in a position any worse than this," Ruthel pointed out. "Sharp left coming up."

"Point. Still, you expressed a particular dislike for thieves and I'd rather not paint myself in a bad light."

"You have already given me an idea of what you were doing. You might as well share in the details. I might find them amusing and it is my amusement that has kept you alive so far."

Dovyel thought about it. That was true and he did have a particular fondness for being alive.

"Alright, so there was this group of soldiers," Dovyel started.

"I can tell you think very highly of yourself and your skills."

Dovyel cleared his throat. "As I said, there was a group of soldiers. They were passing through the forest with a chest full of gold. Likely the tax money."

"Taxes, such an odd concept."

"Yes, I agree," replied Dovyel feeling a little annoyed at another interruption. "Anyways, I followed them and waited for them to settle down for the night. Once that happened I cleverly snuck into their camp. Unfortunately just as I had my hand in reach of the gold, they noticed my presence. So there I am running for my life and I take the only chance to escape. I hid in a small crevice in the cliff which turns out to be a narrow drop down into this cave system of yours."

"It would seem your rotten way of living is coming back to bite you," replied Ruthel.

"That has nothing to do with it," replied Dovyel defensively. "I have been living a rotten life as you put it for years and never have I suffered for it."
"Really?"

"Well, many people don't like me," he replied. "But they just don't like my personality."

"You do seem to be an interesting man," replied Ruthel. "The tunnel bends to your left."

Dovyel slowed his pace and gently felt for the wall and followed it around the corner then continued on at his regular pace.

"I happen to be very interesting. And clever too."